Message+ Invalid folder for VZMedia
decatab

Lately, the Message+ app stores the pictures I save to gallery to a folder under internal/download/(invalid)/VZMedia.  The app used to store the saved pictures under internal/download/VZMedia.  This happens for both my S21 phone and my Samsung Tab A8 tablet.  Is anybody else getting this result when you save an attachment from Message+?

0 Likes
25 Replies
homeymojo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

Has anyone figured a fix to this yet?  This error is stopping all my Message + pictures from being synced to my Google Photos.  I moved the Downloads > (invalid) > VZMedia folder to it's proper location of Internal Storage > Pictures > VZMedia and deleted the improper tree of Downloads > (invalid) > VZMedia and soon as I saved another photo from Message + it created the bad tree again and saved the photo to the bad path.  This is silly common Verizon

nhpratt2

I haven't been able to stop saved photos from going to the invalid VZmedia folder, but in Google Photos, I found multiple VZMedia entries in backup device folders. Only one was enabled. When I turned on all instances, backup from the invalid folder started working. It's scary to have the behavior change unexpectedly in a way that stopped backups!

0 Likes
Foxriverswill

Maybe we should just cancel our subscriptions to Verizon since this problem has been hanging out there for awhile and nothing is being done about it! I have the same problem with my LG G8 device. One other quirk I noticed was the meta data shows some of the pictures as taken on 12/31/69? Lots of precious grandchildren and great grandchildren pictures that I'm afraid will be lost since they are captured on Internal Storage rather than SD card and I have no way of transferring them to a secure file location. The photos will disappear when the phone eventually fails. Not a happy customer!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Foxriverswill and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are concerned to learn that you are having this experience and we would never want to lose you behind this matter. To confirm, are the photos showing but not even allowing you to send them as attachments to your email for instance? We are looking to review all options to make sure you don't lose access to your precious photos of your grandchildren as we know how those are irreplaceable.

-Candice

0 Likes
Al_SantaCruz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this issue for sometime on my Samsung S20 Ultra.  Two system upgrades have taken place, 11/9/2021 & 1/7/2022, and provided no help.

I have tried removing MESSAGE+ and re-install, didn't correct the problem.  My version is 8.1.3 updated on 12/1/2021.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get to the bottom of this with you, please send us a PRrivate Note for further assistance.*Gen

0 Likes
MB_DroidTurbo4Ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi *Gen/vzw_customer_support. I do not know how to send a "PRrivate Note". Maybe you can send me a PRrivate Note and I can reply to it?

-Michele (DroidTurbo4Ever)

0 Likes
Al_SantaCruz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Weird that *Gen/vzw_customer_support wants a Private Note when all he has to do is read the thread and all the details are there.

icom092
Enthusiast - Level 1

I downloaded two images from the same message thread from the same person. One was put under the standard path and found by the Gallery app. The other image was placed in the invalid folder. Neither image was 'evil' (not hate, not racist, etc.) but both were funny. It seems there is some flagging and placement, perhaps such as Facebook has been guilty of doing. Its censorship. Nothing wrong with the actual images; they are viewable. Some are getting sorted to invalid for some reason. Verizon owes a public explanation and should end the 'private' messaging answer. What is the 'invalid' folder created for and what are the rules for moving files to that folder? Be transparent!

MB_DroidTurbo4Ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi icom092. Everything I "Save to gallery" from Message+ goes to the invalid folder. I tried downloading the same image twice from the same person, and get a different result than you did. I expected to have the same image twice in the VZMedia folder, but there is only one. The software seems smart enough to overwrite or just not download it if already there.

I can only see one VZMedia folder from my phone interface because I selected the files from the original VZMedia folder and moved them to the 2nd VZMedia folder that appeared for unknown reason.

Both VZMedia folders are visible from File Manager on Windows 10 laptop, but I only see the invalid one on the phone, and all downloaded images from Message+ are placed in the invalid folder. I tried the double download with both a cartoon, and actual photo with the same result, so don't think the censorship software is responsible.

I dislike having to use Google Photos with the Motorola One 5G phone. My 2016 Droid Turbo has Gallery version 530036 and was completely independent of Google.  I'm always suspicious of all the new software because users have less control and transparency that the old days.

-Michele

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for that information! I do want to help make sure that you can get this all worked out to be able to save your photos from Message+. Are you able to change the download default in your settings? *Jose

0 Likes
marc4est
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue, even if you rename the file, delete the folder and let the app repopulate the tree, it still returns as Pixel6Pro/Download/(invalid)/VZMedia. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Location of or specifics as to where in Settings this can be set?  Ver 8.1.5, do not see this as an option?  THanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bmhicks11, how long has this been an issue? Around that time was their an update to the phone or that app that you are aware of? 

-Tionna

0 Likes
MB_DroidTurbo4Ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope we get an answer soon. I'm accessing my phone files (Motorola One 5G) from File Manager on Windows 10 laptop, and now have two locations of images saved from txts:

(1) Internal shared storage > Download > VZMedia

(2) Internal shared storage > Download > (invalid) > VZMedia

Any files currently saved from txt messages go into the invalid folder, (2). The oldest file in the 1st VZMedia folder (1) is 12/7/2021.

I want to be able to consolidate and have one folder, but I'm afraid if I modify anything from Windows File manager, it will affect the phone's ability to save the files.

Not sure if it's related or coincidental, but Android recently did a "Critical update".

Security update: version RPNS31.Q1.51.3

Android version 11, Security patch: November 1, 2021, 

System Update 9

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

When it comes to pictures, you can't be too careful about where you save them, decatab. You have shared some great details about the issue. We would like to help in every way we can. When the pics are saved to the "invalid" folder, are you still able to access them? What software version are you running on the phone? How about on the tablet? -George

MB_DroidTurbo4Ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Customer Support: Please see also my previous comment about experiencing the same problem on Motorola One 5G. From Google Photos on the phone, I now see two VZMedia thumbnails in the "Photos on device" section.

When I'm trying to move files from the phone to my laptop, with Windows File Manager, there are two VZMedia folders:

1) Internal shared storage > Download > VZMedia

2) Internal shared storage > Download > (invalid) > VZMedia

The second (invalid) folder contains the newly downloaded images. The original VZMedia folder (1) only has content prior to December 7, 2021.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight you can provide. -Michele

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional information. We would like to take a closer look at this matter so that you can get the most out of your device. To better assist please send us a Private Note at your earliest convenience. ~Vic

0 Likes
AZMango

Has a solution been found for the "invalid" VZMedia directory?  I am having the same issue. 

0 Likes
MB_DroidTurbo4Ever
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear customer service. I do not know how to send "Private Note". What additional information is needed? My comments on this thread were as thorough as possible. Please advise.

0 Likes