Message+ iOS v. 2.0.4 yields Error upon launch
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Help!  I've been using the Message+ app for over a year without any problems, until the recent update to version 2.0.4 (iPad).  My messages are synced across the following devices:

LG VX6100 cell phone (10-year old flip phone - stop laughing!)

iPad 2 (have been using Message+ for >1 year with no problems; primary device for text messaging)

Google Nexus 7 tablet (started using Android Message+ app about two months ago, still works fine)

Problem (on the iPad):  after upgrading Message+ to version 2.0.4 a couple days ago, a white error box now appears in the center of the iPad screen about 10-seconds after I launch the app.  100% repeatable.  The message reads:

Error

Calling could not be enabled

at this time.  Please try again later.

OK

When I open the applicatio's  settings sidebar, "Calling" is set to Off.  When I tap Calling to open its settings, the Calling slider is set to Off (of course) and the two Advance Callings options (Activate Advanced Calling and Check Eligibility) appear in red.  When I try to set the Calling slider to On (or when I tap "Check Eligibility"), the same error box shown above appears.

Other than the annoying Error box/message appearing every time I open the app on the iPad, everything (texting/syncing in my case) works perfectly.  Why is this Error box appearing?  Might it have anything to do with the ancient flip phone I'm still (infrequently) using, perhaps not being "compatible" with the new Voice Calling feature?  And if so, can the app be updated to account for these older devices so that Voice Calling doesn't even attempt to activate by itself?

Any help would be appreciated since I use this iPad (and the Message+ app) for most of my texting these days.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Message+ iOS v. 2.0.4 yields Error upon launch
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've stumbled upon a very important detail, milehiguy. The ability to make and receive calls from a connected tablet through Verizon Messages is only available using an advanced calling compatible http://spr.ly/6584B3Ujk smartphone mobile number tied to the Verizon Message application.If you did decide to delete and reinstall the app, only the messages stored at www.vzw.com/verizonmessages would sync back over.

You already took the best steps to get the pop-up to stop by making sure Advanced Calling wasn't accidently turned on in your tablet. I've passed on your feedback to the Message+ developer to ensure we can find a way to stop those pesky pop ups. In the meantime, please just press OK to pass up that error and continue the use as normal.

JenniferH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Milehiguy,

Having the Verizon Messaging App it a great addition to anyones devices. I use mine all the time. Let's get yours working properly. Have you tried removing the application and then reinstalling it? Did you check for updates yet?
JasperM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply Jasper.  Re: your two questions ... I considered an uninstall, but was greeted with a message saying that the app's data would also be deleted.  I assumed by this that all of my existing iPad messages (from 8-10 contacts dating back almost a year) would be lost.  Is this true?  Since I don't want to lose any messages, I've chosen (for now) not to uninstall/reinstall the app.  As far as checking for updates, this version (2.0.4), which introduced the problem, was just updated two days ago (Oct 15), so no update available.

Earlier today in the Verizon Messages forum, I stumbled upon a new post entitled, "Voice calls on iPad?".  Can you please search for this?  One of the responses in the thread was "Your primary phone must be advanced calling capable. What phone do you have".  If true, where is this documented?  Anyway, this got me wondering whether or not my ancient flip phone (whose # I've associated Message+ with) might be the problem.  Can you confirm this or is there something else going on?  In either case, I shouldn't be getting an Error box popping up whenever I open the app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've stumbled upon a very important detail, milehiguy. The ability to make and receive calls from a connected tablet through Verizon Messages is only available using an advanced calling compatible http://spr.ly/6584B3Ujk smartphone mobile number tied to the Verizon Message application.If you did decide to delete and reinstall the app, only the messages stored at www.vzw.com/verizonmessages would sync back over.

You already took the best steps to get the pop-up to stop by making sure Advanced Calling wasn't accidently turned on in your tablet. I've passed on your feedback to the Message+ developer to ensure we can find a way to stop those pesky pop ups. In the meantime, please just press OK to pass up that error and continue the use as normal.

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jennifer - thanks so much for the additional info and confirmation that having my ancient flip-phone tied to the Message+ app on the iPad is the reason Voice Calling isn't supported.  I recommend that this requirement be added to the FAQ or somewhere so that the few souls out here still using older phones are aware.

If I were to put my programmer hat on, I might just ask the app developer to make an initial determination re: whether or not Voice Calling is supported (right after "Connecting ..." appears at the top?), then just not attempt to ever turn it On if the linked phone is unsupported, as doing so brings up the Error box.

One point of clarification re: your statement, "You already took the best steps to get the pop-up to stop by making sure Advanced Calling wasn't accidently turned on in your tablet." ... I didn't really take any steps, per se.  I just went in to the Calling options and noticed that ... Calling is set to Off and the two options under "ADVANCE CALLING" appear in red.  I can't change any of these settings.  When I tap any of them (i.e. toggle "Calling" or tap Check Eligibility), it just causes the Error box to pop up again ~10 seconds later.

I do love the app, by the way.  I have a disability which makes it difficult for me to use a modern smartphone, and texting on the flip-phone is tedious at best, so finding this app that I can use on the iPad (via my old flip-phone's #) makes it 100% easier for me to send/receive text messages.  Anyway, thanks again for the input.  I hope to see a new release soon!

0 Likes