Message+ not working on Chromebook
SeekingSupport
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just bought a new HP Chromebook yesterday.  I'm struggling to get Message+ setup.  When I enter my phone number it sends the QR code.  However, the screen to scan the QR code pops up, and then the entire app just shuts down.  So I have no way to push forward.  I've uninstalled and re-installed several times, with the same result.  All of the permissions are granted.  I've seen several other strings on this board from the last year or so, but I've never seen a resolution or work-around posted.  Is there a work-around available for this issue??

I will say, I've seen a lot of posts indicating you must use the rear camera.  I wouldn't imagine a Chromebook typically has a rear facing camera, just the one intended as a web cam.

0 Likes
Re: Message+ not working on Chromebook
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered using Messages by Google  instead?

SeekingSupport
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion tikibar1.  I most certainly would consider using another product.  I actually do have Google's Messages installed (assuming that is what you mean).  It has an option to sync with my phone, which seems to work great for text messages.  The only drawback is that it seems I have to sync my phone every time, it doesn't just stay active.  Also, I'm hoping to use my Chromebook to make and receive phone calls to essentially replace my phone at times.

They market Message+ as a solution that will allow calling using my phone number.  But maybe it isn't a better solution... I wouldn't know because I can't get it to work.  🙂

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@SeekingSupport  Have you considered trying the browser access to Message+ as an option?  https://web.vma.verizon.com .  It may not be ideal but worth considering until the Message+ issue with ChromeBook get resolved.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
SeekingSupport
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion jav6!  I didn't realize there was a browser version.  I pulled it up briefly.  It seems to be more of a text messaging solution than a voice/video call solution.  I'll have to play around with it more.  Do you know if it supports calling?

As for messaging, I am having a lot of luck with the Google option.  I opened it today and it did auto-sync with my phone, so I'm happy there.  

I've read through a lot of the strings regarding the Chromebook Message+ problem, but I never did see anything indicating Verizon engineers were actively pursuing a solution.  Do you know that they are looking for a solution, or if there is an ETA?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@SeekingSupport wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion jav6!  I didn't realize there was a browser version.  I pulled it up briefly.  It seems to be more of a text messaging solution than a voice/video call solution.  I'll have to play around with it more.  Do you know if it supports calling?

As for messaging, I am having a lot of luck with the Google option.  I opened it today and it did auto-sync with my phone, so I'm happy there.  

I've read through a lot of the strings regarding the Chromebook Message+ problem, but I never did see anything indicating Verizon engineers were actively pursuing a solution.  Do you know that they are looking for a solution, or if there is an ETA?

The browser version only supports messaging, not calling.  As for whether there is ongoing troubleshooting for the ChromeBook issue you're experiencing, you could send an email to the Verizon Messaging Support group verizonmessages at verizonwireless dot com .  Describe your issue and ask for a ticket to be opened.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to be able to use the Message+ service fully. We understand that you have uninstall and reinstalled the app a few times and the app is not working for you. Are you able to use Message+ with other devices?

AntonioC_VZW

0 Likes