Message received as random numbers, letters, and symbols. Is it a bug?
bobsfriend

Hello helpful people! Please help me!

I send a text message to my friend. She has Verizon just like me. She texts me back asking why I put a bunch of random symbols letters and numbers. My entire message to her is turned into something that looks like spam. hjksd&*IKS(932*K^JK%  like that. I text her a similar message phrasing it a different way. She still gets the random stuff. She got 4 random messages like that. Then we start talking about something different and she gets my real message. After getting only 2 real messages she got a random symbol number letter message. Is this a bug in Verizon? This happened to me once with another friend so its not just to this particular person. No matter what I can never send the real message. Even if I retype it.

Please help! Tell me if it has happened to you! Did you do anything to stop it?

Thanks So Much For Your Participation!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Message received as random numbers, letters, and symbols. Is it a bug?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bobsfriend wrote:

I send a text message to my friend. She has Verizon just like me. She texts me back asking why I put a bunch of random symbols letters and numbers. My entire message to her is turned into something that looks like spam. hjksd&*IKS(932*K^JK%  like that. I text her a similar message phrasing it a different way. She still gets the random stuff. She got 4 random messages like that. Then we start talking about something different and she gets my real message. After getting only 2 real messages she got a random symbol number letter message. Is this a bug in Verizon? This happened to me once with another friend so its not just to this particular person. No matter what I can never send the real message. Even if I retype it.

I was reading another thread, and the culprit turned out to be a signature with some special characters that didn't translate well on other phones.  Could this be what's happening?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

How long are the texts you're sending? Are they more than 160 characters? Do you know what phone your friend has? Her phone may not support enhanced messaging but it depends on the phone, I know some of the older phones don't support it.

I would try to do a reprogramming on both of your phones by dialing *228 send and choosing option 1 then see if that helps any...

0 Likes
bobsfriend
We both have the LG env3, in the same color. Some of the messages were and some werent over 160 characters. This happened to me a few times last night while I was texting another friend. She does not have verizon but I made sure I did not send here a message with or over 160 characters. I currently did the reprogramming. Just on my phone. Hopefully it works. I will post back with results. Thank you for the advice.
0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3
Hmm.. That's strange... hopefully the reprogram works
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bobsfriend wrote:

I was reading another thread, and the culprit turned out to be a signature with some special characters that didn't translate well on other phones.  Could this be what's happening?

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3

SuzyQ wrote:

Good call! 

If it's VZW to VZW on an ENv3 which DOES support enhanced messaging a signature shouldn't be an issue but it honestly wouldn't hurt to try :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
bobsfriend

Actually I also read it on another thread. I took out all the symbols in my signature and did the reset. I don't know which one it is (I'm leaning towards the signature) but one of them worked!

Thanks to all of you who posted and helped!

0 Likes
DaniLove13
Contributor - Level 3
Awesome! Glad it got fixed! :smileyvery-happy:
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bobsfriend wrote:

Actually I also read it on another thread. I took out all the symbols in my signature and did the reset. I don't know which one it is (I'm leaning towards the signature) but one of them worked!

Thanks to all of you who posted and helped!

I love it when things actually WORK!  Thanks for sharing your results!

0 Likes
Takizzle

I agree.. My friends are getting weird symbols and such too, and i have an é on my signature.. I think that's probably what caused it, even though most of my friends have newer devices. Verizon to verizon shouldn't matter though.. I have the EnV Touch. It's really strange, and exact same problem you may had.

0 Likes