Messages Mac app won't send verification text to my phone
Gerioneil
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've used Messages + desktop app for Mac before, but I've upgraded to El Capitan and I installed the app. but it won't send a verification text to my phone to activate the account. I've disabled iMessages and reinstalled the app several times.

The app on my Nexus 6 works fine and the web app works fine, too.

Thanx for any help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messages Mac app won't send verification text to my phone
Not applicable

HI Gerioneil

Here is one solution that one user discovered and shared with us that might work for you also.

MAC antivirus software by Avast include 3 "shields": file system, mail, and web. After looking through my console logs, it appears that Message+ requires an IMAP connection to retrieve all of it's data and the "mail shield" was blocking this. There was no pop up or alert, basically Message+ just sat there forever, empty and silent.

Let us know please if this was/was not successful.

THANKS,

ALIEM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues using the app on your computer, Gerioneil. The message itself isn't sending?

DanielK_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Gerioneil
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I can't get that far. Once the Messaging app is installed on my MacBook desktop, I open it and it asks for my mobile number. Once I enter the number, it tries to connect to a server to connect my mobile number to the app. But it never finishes the operation. It attempts to connect for a while (45-60 seconds?), then I get an error message saying the app couldn't connect to the server.

I've checked my anti-virus and I've reinstalled the app 3 times.

Thanx.

0 Likes
Not applicable

HI Gerioneil

Here is one solution that one user discovered and shared with us that might work for you also.

MAC antivirus software by Avast include 3 "shields": file system, mail, and web. After looking through my console logs, it appears that Message+ requires an IMAP connection to retrieve all of it's data and the "mail shield" was blocking this. There was no pop up or alert, basically Message+ just sat there forever, empty and silent.

Let us know please if this was/was not successful.

THANKS,

ALIEM

0 Likes
Gerioneil
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, I uninstalled Sophos and I've ensured that the firewall is turned off. Still getting the same error. The thing is, I can't tell if the attempt is failing at the server level or if the attempt is actually going out and the phone simply isn't getting the verification code.

Could it be the new El Capitan OS that's the issue for Messsages+? I haven't seen any discussion of that.

The Messsages app is working perfectly on my iPad Pro and my Nexus 6 phone.

A perplexing problem that there's bound to be an answer for...:o))

Thanx.

0 Likes
Gerioneil
Enthusiast - Level 2

HEY, IT'S WORKING!

Out of the blue tonight, I tried to send the number for verification and it worked like a champ. So I"m good with the app now.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I'm glad to hear that!

Let us know if you have another other issues.

We're here to support you!!

-ALIEM

0 Likes