Messages stopped working on my old phone after I bought a new phone.
pjm6811
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using Verizon Messages+ for a few years. I use the Integrated Messaging feature across the web and on some tablets.

I was using Droid Turbo phone as the primary device.

I recently bought a new phone, a Samsung Galaxy S8, to replace the Droid Turbo.

I would still like to be able to use the Droid Turbo via wifi to send and receive text messages.

However, I cannot figure out how to get it to work now that it is no longer connected to the Verizon network.

I can surf the web over wifi.

How can I reset the Integrated Messaging Features in the Messages+ app on the Droid Turbo so I can start over and specify a paired account to sync with Integrated Messaging?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Messages stopped working on my old phone after I bought a new phone.
deloused
Master - Level 3

To use the Verizon Messages+ app and integrated messaging functionality on the Droid Turbo you'd need to deactivate the current Galaxy S8 from your line, then reactivate your phone number on the Turbo as it only can work with one smartphone at a time

View solution in original post

deloused
Master - Level 3

To use the Verizon Messages+ app and integrated messaging functionality on the Droid Turbo you'd need to deactivate the current Galaxy S8 from your line, then reactivate your phone number on the Turbo as it only can work with one smartphone at a time

pjm6811
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.

I'm disappointed.

I was hoping I could use my Droid Turbo like a tablet with Integrated Messaging.

I do not intend to put the Droid Turbo back on the Verizon network, so I conclude that I will not be able to use the Droid Turbo for this purpose.

Thanks again for the guidance.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pjm6811,

I understand the importance of having the ability to use Messages + on your previous device. Allow us to help. What steps are you taking to use Messages + on your device? What happens (error message,  when you attempt to use Messages +?

CoreyM_VZW

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I believe that Deloused is right message+ is a Verizon app that needs Verizon network. The only app that I have that works on a deactivated phone is messenger from facebook. I think you maybe able to find some others like hangout, skype and I think Allo also works on a deactivated phone.I know this does not answer your question but I am sure some phone wiz may come on here and help you to get this app to work on your droid turbo without to much of a problem.

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1
0 Likes
pjm6811
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have compared the Message+ settings on my devices. Here are some observations:

• Primary Device: Samsung S8
    • Am I able to send and receive text messages on this device in Message+? Yes
    • Message+ app version: 6.4.42
    • Message+ settings:
      • Integrated Messaging Features:
        • Manage Devices:
          • Primary Device: <phone number for this phone>
          • Connected Devices
            • iPad
            • <android tablet>
            • <Amazon Kindle Fire tablet>
  • Devices Connected to my Message+ account:
    • iPad tablet
      • Message+ app version: 2.4.5
      • Message+ settings:
        • <phone number for primary device above>
        • Manage Devices:
          • iPad (Current Device)
          • <android table>
          • <Amazon Kindle Fire table>
    • Android tablet
      • Message+ settings:
          • Paired Account: <phone number for primary device above>
    • Amazon Kindle Fire tablet
      • Message+ app version: 4.3.23
      • Message+ settings:
          • Paired Account: <phone number for primary device above>

Here are my observations with my previous phone, a Motorola Droid Turbo:

• Droid Turbo
    • This was my primary device until I replaced it with the Samsung S8.
    • Was I able to send and receive text messages on the device in Message+ when it was the primary device? Yes.
    • Am I able to send and receive text messages on this device in Message+ now? No.
    • Message+ settings:
      • <phone number for primary device above>
      • Activate Account:
        • Popup dialog box: “Please Wait  Starting Service” with a bar graph that does not move. The dialog box disappears after about a minute.
        • There is no opportunity to disconnect this device from Message+ and pair it with my Message+ account while reconnecting.
    • I am not able to uninstall the Message+ app. I can only uninstall updates to it.
    • I have tried the following without getting the Message+ app to work on the Droid Turbo after I replaced it with the S8:
      • Disabling the app and re-enabling it.
      • Uninstalling updates.
      • Clearing app data and cache data.
Re: Messages  stopped working on my old phone after I bought a new phone.
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted earlier, Verizon Messages needs an active SIM to operate correctly.  Integrated Messaging works with multiple devices at a time, but all devices are attached to the primary phone line and none can be smartphones other than the primary line.  You'll either need to reactivate your line on the Turbo or find an app in the Play Store that works solely on wi-fi.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

deloused is correct. It will never work on a deactivated phone or any other phone on another network. The application is designed to tell if it is installed on a smartphone or a tablet. When it is installed on a smartphone, it will look for the assigned phone number. If it doesn't find it or an active SIM card, it will not work.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes