Messaging App/Public Profile
Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

After the recent update to the Message+ app I am now required to create a "public profile" in order to access the app?Screenshot_20170201-113801.png

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffSF,

We certainly want to make sure that every customer can utilize every feature on their device. You are correct, that a good alternative to the Verizon Message+ application would be to use the standard messaging application that comes on to every device. We are working diligently to work out all the bugs with our Message+ application. Please let us know if you ever need anything. We are happy to help in any way we can.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
39 Replies
JeffSF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Best solution: Stop using this asinine Verizon Message+ app and switch to the phone's Message app instead. None of this outrageous forcing us to create a profile. By the way, Message+ asks me about 6 times a day, and I say "No" every time, do you think they would  finally get it?  EPIC FAIL, VERIZON!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffSF,

We certainly want to make sure that every customer can utilize every feature on their device. You are correct, that a good alternative to the Verizon Message+ application would be to use the standard messaging application that comes on to every device. We are working diligently to work out all the bugs with our Message+ application. Please let us know if you ever need anything. We are happy to help in any way we can.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks all for your feedback. If you have not already please update newest version of Verizon Messages 6.4.4. You will have the option to skip setting up a public profile. You can also delete the public profile by selecting the menu to the left – select the edit pencil – erase contents in the name field and enter your phone number which is the default public name.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Please note people, Verizon hasn't really told everyone the whole story.  If you do not MANUALLY delete your public profile name your name AND phone number are visible, unrestricted, to any other Verizon Message+ user who has updated to 6.4.x, even people you do not know.  When someone enters a number in Message Plus 6.4.x, including 6.4.4, that's the number of someone who has gone through the setup process in 6.4.x and entered information their public profile name will populate on the potential sender's screen, even if the recipient's name is unknown to the sender.  This is rife for abuse.  A simple script could potentially automate this. All Verizon is doing with 6.4.4 and the Skip button is replacing the name with your # which is far less likely to be abused since someone attempting to harvest public profile information would only have the number, but no name attached.  In the end, however, the right thing to do is to nix this public profile system all together.

That Verizon hasn't removed this all together really makes me question Verizon's statement on privacy that their Chief Privacy Officer stated on 6 October 2016:

"We care deeply about our customers’ privacy, and understand that we have much at risk if we lose their trust." - Karen Zacharia

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/consistent-privacy-protections-benefit-consumers

In the end, Verizon should immediately and fully document this entire product, including what type and level of, if any, encryption is used between sender/receiver, why they haven't just removed the public profile settings/option from the product and every account, and then agree to purge 100% of all information they've garnered from users since 1 February 2017.  Short of that, customers should voice their concerns about how Verizon is handling customer's privacy to Verizon, the FCC, the FTC, and to their state's attorney general's office.

Kchri2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Beware! This app defaults to 'PUBLIC PROFILE' And posts unauthorized pictures of their choice you have on your phone. In my case, I wasn't aware until someone told me they saw it. The particular picture they chose to create a default public profile with has compromised my safety by publishing private information!

I will be holding Verizon responsible for any harm, danger or any injuries caused by this unauthorized  illegal and irresponsible use of my private information.

0 Likes
Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

This "update" is getting worse and worse ... My text messages aren't sending or receiving properly regardless of being on WiFi or not.  My conversations are getting messed up because the order gets completely hosed based on when the app/VZW decides to actually let the messages go through.  Do these things actually go through any form of testing prior to release or is the release your "beta"?!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The new update is suppose to enhance your services, Sarien. I use the Message + application as well so let's review this together. Do you have this issue with all numbers that you receive text messages from?

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Version 6.4.3 was released today; at least one post I've seen so far indicates that particular user's issue was resolved with that update.  Hopefully others will chime in once they apply the update.

0 Likes
Sarien
Enthusiast - Level 2

Applying the update now.  Will have to see if the app becomes in some way usable again.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

So we're going to get an update every day for how long to fix this?  I love Sarien's question, " Do these things actually go through any form of testing prior to release or is the release your "beta"?!"  What an excellent question!!!

The annoying date/time stamps and incorrect unread message stamps are still there, however.

0 Likes
forJAT

I am unfamiliar with that particular phone. However on the last few Notes and Galaxy phones. The verizon messages is a link to down load and not preinstalled. The application "Messages" is the pre-installed application.

A quick search shows "Messaging" to be the default application on the V20.

To change:

From home screen go to settings, application manager, Menu icon (upper right) - configure apps - default apps - Message app. Then select the OS default which appears to be "Messaging" for the LG V20.

I can see where the confusion would come in as the Message+ icon would be on a fresh install. However it is a install/activation/agreement link and not the actual default OS messaging application. While going to the application manager only shows disable. It can be uninstalled through the google play store. The Messages+ should then be replaced with the initial icon that forwarded you to download/install/register.  This is the same process to uninstall Google Hangouts. To uninstall hangout you have to do it through the Play Store

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Just to clarify, I've used Android since the first Android phone Verizon sold.  The LG V20 is LG's latest flagship phone and is not a Samsung so there's really no comparison.  On the LG V20s, as sold by Verizon, Message+ is preinstalled and is the default messaging app.  It cannot be removed (it can be rolled back to the factory installed version, but not actually uninstalled) just as one cannot remove any pre-installed Amazon apps on a V20.  I will leave it at that as we're not getting anywhere in this conversation.

0 Likes
forJAT

I am looking at a LG V20 right now. Flagship or not your right the LG v20 does not compare to Samsung.

Now it is up you as whether or not you will listen. The default messaging application is called Messaging it is an icon with a yellow background and a white chat bubble. Unless you got a super special one of a kind phone. The instructions i gave you to UNINSTALL verizon Message+ apply to you. Now whether you want to actually try unistalling it or changing default back to MESSAGING and not get hung up on the disable or update only options for Message+ in the application manager is completely up to you.

There is an old adage about a horse and water that is coming to mind. Good luck man.

To further prove my point

Https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207831/

0 Likes
forJAT

Or google "Uninstalling Message+ LG V20"

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

forJAT, I don't know who you are or why you think you're such an expert on the V20, but first, you're right, the V20 is no Samsung, it's superior in every regard to current Samsung models, including your Note 5.  Better CPU, better screen, better cameras (4 of them), better battery (that's removable), far superior sound playback, USB-C, microSD support to 2TB (no one even makes anything close to that big yet), etc...

Anyway, there are two V20s in my family and I just setup a 3rd for a client yesterday.  The default, out of the box messaging app is Message+.  Yes, LG includes their messaging app, but it's not the one that gets messages by default.  In fact, yesterday while setting the client's V20 up, he couldn't remember his Google pwd so Google sent the recovery code to the phone and guess where it popped up in?  Verizon Message+. Google pwd change, rest of the phone setup.  Easy, done, but definitely NOT done using LG Messaging. So stop being so condescending. Enjoy your Samsung devices.  When you actually lay hands on a V20 and own one let me know.

BTW, your and you're are not interchangeable.  Please just move on.  I have V20s, you don't. 

0 Likes
pmstewart

The new upgrade is meant to be a partner to the following app....

Verizon Messages - Android Apps on Google Play

And this list of upgraded features to match the same features as the above messages app which has been available on the play store for about a year now.

• Enhanced Group Chat

• Yelp Integration: Share your favorite places on Yelp within the app.

• Kanvas: Create GIFs & edit photos with Kanvas’s editing tools, stickers, & more

• Cloud Integration: Access & share your cloud media within Message+

• Glympse Enhancements: Let’s your family and friends know your ETA at the press of a button

• Gifting: The quick and easy way to buy and gift your favorite stocks to family & friends

• Mute conversation across all your connected devices

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Signal folks.. Signal.  It's the ONLY app we should be using.  Safe, secure, encrypted.

0 Likes
pmstewart

According to Verizon Tech Support and can be verified under the Messenger + app - select the three bars in the upper left hand corner when messenger is open - select "Whats New" - You will find that SMS messenger is now "CHAT!"

It is supposed to be comparable to Apple iMessage and is meant to be used over wifi and contains other features listed under what's new.

The public profile is for when the software becomes available for use on tablets and computers and it will function very much like google chat used to. Google chat is now google hangouts and I've never used hangouts. I assume it's about the same as Facebook messaging. You have to have an app somewhere or in some cases people want the app everywhere and on every device to send and receive messages.

I agree with what has been proposed here in the forum - it is an invasion of privacy to convert SMS and MMS messaging from a secure platform over cellular data to an open platform such as wifi and allowing for connections to the messaging (chat) service from multiple devices where messages are downloaded and stored until deleted on each individual device.

Currently there is no way to uninstall the update. There is also no way to opt in or out of public profile. If you stop the messenger through your apps manager and restart without accepting and creating the public profile notifications for incoming messages may not appear in the notification area of your devices - per Verizon Tech Support.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

They also broke WiFi message sending.  I'm in a terrible service area but have excellent WiFi and yet simply SMS messages stopped sending.  Clearly this is a HORRIBLE version and needs to be backed out back to the previous version until Verizon fires every programmer and hires someone older than 12 to actually write code.

0 Likes
jayver
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is horrible, I cannot get past the profile screen, tried backing out of the app, then reentering it keeps showing up and i cannot view my messages until i create a profile which I do not want to.  Verizon is invading I privacy, not giving us choices.  I sure regret renewing my contract.

This is getting close to the straw that broke the camels back.  Verizon has made many changes that are providing not useful and or unwanted.  What has happened to Verizon?  They use to be sharp, and insightful. 

0 Likes