Re: Messaging App/Public Profile
jayver
Enthusiast - Level 2

This has not worked for me. 

0 Likes
jayver
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just figured, thanks to no help from Verizon (creating a junkie upgrade, and not providing a work around).and them costing me my valuable time.

1. Got to Setting

2. Open the Application Manager

3. Go to Messages

4. Force Stop

5. Now you can get into messages without have to create a privacy invading profile

6. go to Federal Communications Commission | The United States of America  and put in an invasion of privacy complaint especially if this applies to minors

7. Go to your State Attorney General and file an invasion of privacy complaint

8.  The more people that do this the more State's Attorney Generals will get involved, and the more penalties will be brought upon Verizon

TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

They also broke WiFi message sending.  I'm in a terrible service area but have excellent WiFi and yet simply SMS messages stopped sending.  Clearly this is a HORRIBLE version and needs to be backed out back to the previous version until Verizon fires every programmer and hires someone older than 12 to actually write code.

0 Likes
pmstewart

According to Verizon Tech Support and can be verified under the Messenger + app - select the three bars in the upper left hand corner when messenger is open - select "Whats New" - You will find that SMS messenger is now "CHAT!"

It is supposed to be comparable to Apple iMessage and is meant to be used over wifi and contains other features listed under what's new.

The public profile is for when the software becomes available for use on tablets and computers and it will function very much like google chat used to. Google chat is now google hangouts and I've never used hangouts. I assume it's about the same as Facebook messaging. You have to have an app somewhere or in some cases people want the app everywhere and on every device to send and receive messages.

I agree with what has been proposed here in the forum - it is an invasion of privacy to convert SMS and MMS messaging from a secure platform over cellular data to an open platform such as wifi and allowing for connections to the messaging (chat) service from multiple devices where messages are downloaded and stored until deleted on each individual device.

Currently there is no way to uninstall the update. There is also no way to opt in or out of public profile. If you stop the messenger through your apps manager and restart without accepting and creating the public profile notifications for incoming messages may not appear in the notification area of your devices - per Verizon Tech Support.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Signal folks.. Signal.  It's the ONLY app we should be using.  Safe, secure, encrypted.

0 Likes
pmstewart

The new upgrade is meant to be a partner to the following app....

Verizon Messages - Android Apps on Google Play

And this list of upgraded features to match the same features as the above messages app which has been available on the play store for about a year now.

• Enhanced Group Chat

• Yelp Integration: Share your favorite places on Yelp within the app.

• Kanvas: Create GIFs & edit photos with Kanvas’s editing tools, stickers, & more

• Cloud Integration: Access & share your cloud media within Message+

• Glympse Enhancements: Let’s your family and friends know your ETA at the press of a button

• Gifting: The quick and easy way to buy and gift your favorite stocks to family & friends

• Mute conversation across all your connected devices

0 Likes
forJAT

@TubaOrNotTuba

I have my own issues with this app currently however after reading your posts I have to say.  You are not being forced to do anything. Simply uninstall this "OPTIONAL" application and find one that suits your need and concerns. Spouting off about reporting to this agency and that agency about this misconceived perceived notion or that misconceived notion does not help anything. I am fairly positive that Verizon has their privacy issues covered by either way of adherence or loop holes (yes there are loop holes and legal ones at that.)  As far as children having access to this optional application. I believe it is the job of the parent to ensure the child has what they have installed on their phone or not on their phone and not the government or application creator. 

Verizon is dealing with a lot of stuff with this update. Undoubted they rolled this patch/update out wrong. Let's at the very least let's try to stay constructive. 

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

How is this optional software?  It's FORCED on the phone.  It cannot be uninstalled.  And as for kids, the LAW does not put the onus on parents, it puts the onus on companies collecting the data. Period.  Go read the law.  That Verizon forces this app as the default app on many Androids they sell makes them TOTALLY responsible for complying with COPAA.

0 Likes
forJAT

Please go to the Google play store. Search verizon message, verizon Message Plus or Message+. Then choose uninstall. Then proceed to use the "default" messaging application.

If your using an apple product your on your own. However one would assume the process is as equally easy to revert back to the "default" messaging application.

Your welcome!

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Who cares about iPhones?  Why anyone would use Message+ on an iPhone when they have iMessage is beyond me.  Anyway, on my new Verizon-sold LG V20 Message+ IS the default messaging application.  Verizon forces LG to pre-install Message+ and to set it as the default messaging app.  In fact, I just setup a brand new V20 yesterday for a client of mine and guess what?  Message+ was the default messaging app.

Again, one CANNOT uninstall a pre-installed app.  They're locked.  Short of rooting (I'm not suggesting anyone do that), one cannot remove it.  Yes, one can disable it, but that's not the point.  The app is part of the phone.  Verizon forces it on the phone.  It's taking up space just like other Verizon apps that I don't want like VZ Navigator.  If Verizon is going to not give us the right to fully remove it, it needs to be legitimate software without privacy concerns (someone else recommended filing a complaint with the FTC over privacy concerns), COPPA issues, and added undisclosed costs to the customer.

[Removed]

discussing moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes