Re: Messaging App/Public Profile
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

forJAT, I don't know who you are or why you think you're such an expert on the V20, but first, you're right, the V20 is no Samsung, it's superior in every regard to current Samsung models, including your Note 5.  Better CPU, better screen, better cameras (4 of them), better battery (that's removable), far superior sound playback, USB-C, microSD support to 2TB (no one even makes anything close to that big yet), etc...

Anyway, there are two V20s in my family and I just setup a 3rd for a client yesterday.  The default, out of the box messaging app is Message+.  Yes, LG includes their messaging app, but it's not the one that gets messages by default.  In fact, yesterday while setting the client's V20 up, he couldn't remember his Google pwd so Google sent the recovery code to the phone and guess where it popped up in?  Verizon Message+. Google pwd change, rest of the phone setup.  Easy, done, but definitely NOT done using LG Messaging. So stop being so condescending. Enjoy your Samsung devices.  When you actually lay hands on a V20 and own one let me know.

BTW, your and you're are not interchangeable.  Please just move on.  I have V20s, you don't. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The new update is suppose to enhance your services, Sarien. I use the Message + application as well so let's review this together. Do you have this issue with all numbers that you receive text messages from?

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

Thanks all for your feedback. If you have not already please update newest version of Verizon Messages 6.4.4. You will have the option to skip setting up a public profile. You can also delete the public profile by selecting the menu to the left – select the edit pencil – erase contents in the name field and enter your phone number which is the default public name.

0 Likes
TubaOrNotTuba
Contributor - Level 1

Please note people, Verizon hasn't really told everyone the whole story.  If you do not MANUALLY delete your public profile name your name AND phone number are visible, unrestricted, to any other Verizon Message+ user who has updated to 6.4.x, even people you do not know.  When someone enters a number in Message Plus 6.4.x, including 6.4.4, that's the number of someone who has gone through the setup process in 6.4.x and entered information their public profile name will populate on the potential sender's screen, even if the recipient's name is unknown to the sender.  This is rife for abuse.  A simple script could potentially automate this. All Verizon is doing with 6.4.4 and the Skip button is replacing the name with your # which is far less likely to be abused since someone attempting to harvest public profile information would only have the number, but no name attached.  In the end, however, the right thing to do is to nix this public profile system all together.

That Verizon hasn't removed this all together really makes me question Verizon's statement on privacy that their Chief Privacy Officer stated on 6 October 2016:

"We care deeply about our customers’ privacy, and understand that we have much at risk if we lose their trust." - Karen Zacharia

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/consistent-privacy-protections-benefit-consumers

In the end, Verizon should immediately and fully document this entire product, including what type and level of, if any, encryption is used between sender/receiver, why they haven't just removed the public profile settings/option from the product and every account, and then agree to purge 100% of all information they've garnered from users since 1 February 2017.  Short of that, customers should voice their concerns about how Verizon is handling customer's privacy to Verizon, the FCC, the FTC, and to their state's attorney general's office.

JeffSF
Enthusiast - Level 2

Best solution: Stop using this asinine Verizon Message+ app and switch to the phone's Message app instead. None of this outrageous forcing us to create a profile. By the way, Message+ asks me about 6 times a day, and I say "No" every time, do you think they would  finally get it?  EPIC FAIL, VERIZON!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JeffSF,

We certainly want to make sure that every customer can utilize every feature on their device. You are correct, that a good alternative to the Verizon Message+ application would be to use the standard messaging application that comes on to every device. We are working diligently to work out all the bugs with our Message+ application. Please let us know if you ever need anything. We are happy to help in any way we can.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Kchri2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Beware! This app defaults to 'PUBLIC PROFILE' And posts unauthorized pictures of their choice you have on your phone. In my case, I wasn't aware until someone told me they saw it. The particular picture they chose to create a default public profile with has compromised my safety by publishing private information!

I will be holding Verizon responsible for any harm, danger or any injuries caused by this unauthorized  illegal and irresponsible use of my private information.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kchri2, protecting your information is extremely high on our priority list. The Messages+ application asks if you want a public or private profile. This is not something that we would default without your permission.  You can force stop the app and clear the cache in your settings. Once you've done this, when you open the app, it will ask if you want a public or private profile. It will also ask when the app updates in the play store. Please let us know if you have any trouble removing the public profile status.

La’SindaT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kchri2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have deleted it, but I did NOT create it. Nor did I post that picture.

On Jul 3, 2017 9:57 AM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
amberf_vzw
Verizon Employee

I understand how urgent this concern is for you Kchri2. I can assure you that we value your security. Nothing can be posted unless it is done from the phone itself. The good news is the phone does have messaging application, and you can use that from now on. Was there anything else I can do for you today?

AmberF_VZW

0 Likes