Missing text messages from online log
nhlgopens
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use the online logs to track my kid's texting habits from their friends.  I sent my son texts that he replied to... when I checked the online log, these entries never showed up within my log or his.  I sat next to him and watched him text friends, but when I checked the log this morning, none of the texts were logged in the system.  Why the missing data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Missing text messages from online log
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he has an iPhone and is using iMessage, it is using data and won't show up in the text logs. The same is true if he is using any of the texting apps to send and receive texts. Only those texts that go through the stock texting will be logged.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he has an iPhone and is using iMessage, it is using data and won't show up in the text logs. The same is true if he is using any of the texting apps to send and receive texts. Only those texts that go through the stock texting will be logged.

0 Likes
nhlgopens
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well if that's the case, this is ridiculous.  iMessage is text not data... I have unlimited texting for us but limited data.  So now every text through iMessage is considered data?  Is there a way to log the iMessage data?  Or is there a way to turn iMessage off so that it's all straight text? You would think that iMessage would equal Messages with the online logs......

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

nhlgopens,

I apologize for the confusion. I know it's important to manage his message history. You've been pointed in the right direction. However, since iMessages are a service from Apple, we can't charge you or deduct it from your text messaging allowance. This does not mean you're charged as data, it means it just needs a data connection to work. You can verify they do not use data by accessing Settings>Cellular>look through all the apps, you will see iMessages or Messages are not there since they are not deducted from data allowance. There's an easy fix if you want them deducted from your text allowance, have all your iPhone users turn off iMessages. All messages will be text messages and display on our history.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes