My parents can see my text messages on the computer!!
Anthonator96

So my parents can see what I've been saying, the whole text, who I sent it to, etc. on the computer. Today I went on the computer and there was something in a word doc with ALL my texts from the night before!! :smileysurprised: There isn't anything bad, but they know everything I say now...If I had a pic of it I would post it...Is there any way I can do something? This is invasion of my own priacy if you get it...?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My parents can see my text messages on the computer!!
budone
Legend

Well, as someone under 18, your privacy rights are VERY LIMITED. Even if over 18 and living under their roof, privacy is limited.When you are out of their house and you are supporting yourself, then yes you can say they are invading your privacy.

Not knowing your phone, there are apps that can forward every text to email.

Personally, I would sit down with Mom and Dad and express your concern. As a parent I would respect you for that. If you decide to just delete the app, you will just fuel their suspicions and make your life harder and they may just take the phone away or block texting. 

Understand there are alot of weirdos out there. They are watching out for you.

View solution in original post

CJREYES666
Contributor - Level 1

they cant access your text msg unless they get a court order to get them probabaly they got your phone and just trans fered them directly to the computer or some way order the only thing they could see on the computer is to whom you send the msg to and who sent you a msg and the times thats it

0 Likes
Anthonator96
They have been doing this while I have my phone. I know they don't have a court order either. Is is something to do with the fact that I have a smartphone?
0 Likes
budone
Legend

Well, as someone under 18, your privacy rights are VERY LIMITED. Even if over 18 and living under their roof, privacy is limited.When you are out of their house and you are supporting yourself, then yes you can say they are invading your privacy.

Not knowing your phone, there are apps that can forward every text to email.

Personally, I would sit down with Mom and Dad and express your concern. As a parent I would respect you for that. If you decide to just delete the app, you will just fuel their suspicions and make your life harder and they may just take the phone away or block texting. 

Understand there are alot of weirdos out there. They are watching out for you.

mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

who pays the phone bill? whos name is the phone in?

are you under 18?

im glad parents are taking an interest in what thier child is doing and want to make sure nothing is wrong.

you could always go back to the days of the corded phone and have to sit near it. then they could just listen in on what you are doing.

budone
Legend

mdram4x4 wrote:

are you under 18?

im glad parents are taking an interest in what thier child is doing and want to make sure nothing is wrong.

you could always go back to the days of the corded phone and have to sit near it. then they could just listen in on what you are doing.

I nearly added the corded phone comment, but I did not want to age myself. Or worse a party line. (As Anthony says, WHAT????)

mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

budone wrote:

mdram4x4 wrote:

are you under 18?

I nearly added the corded phone comment, but I did not want to age myself. Or worse a party line. (As Anthony says, WHAT????)

corded, party line, and rotary............

but not operator assisted dialing "can i have teldo 34951 please"

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Anthonator96 wrote:

So my parents can see what I've been saying, the whole text, who I sent it to, etc. on the computer. Today I went on the computer and there was something in a word doc with ALL my texts from the night before!! :smileysurprised: There isn't anything bad, but they know everything I say now...If I had a pic of it I would post it...Is there any way I can do something? This is invasion of my own priacy if you get it...?

Yes, there is something you can do. Get your own phone and pay the bills.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your input and thanks Anthonator96 for your inquiry. Without getting into a legal debate or discussing what your parent's have a right to do, this can only be done if your parents downloaded an application to your phone that allows them to view your text messages remotely. Logging into My Verizon will not allow them to view your text messages. 

0 Likes
Drue
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a parent, I would love to know the name of the app they are using to view the text messages remotely.  I would download it in a heartbeat!