Re: Picture messages not downloading
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

Good morning and thank you for all of the Community Member's responses!  All of the issues reported have helped us see how big the problem is, and has been lifted up to our product team.

This question applies to everyone having this problem, do you have the 3G data connection active and the WiFi off when you are trying to download the pictures in the MMS message?  If the WiFi is on, this is where the problem can be in transmitting the picture or video.  (This can be checked in the Settings.)

Thank you,

0 Likes
wst

Same problem with Stratosphere bought two weeks ago.

Followed all instructions, phone off, remove and replace battery, etc.

Did not fix it.

Only way I was able to get multi-media messages to download was to turn off auto download. If there is a MMS, then a downlaod button shows in message box. Click it and MMS will download.

0 Likes
katie1103

I have a similar issue with the env3. I tried *228 option 2, removed the battery, disabled automatic retrieval. When I try to send a message it just shows as connecting but if I back out of it the msg shows that it has been sent and the other person receives it.

0 Likes
ajp6871

Just wondering why the data has to be enable with text messaging.  With my old AT&T HTC Incredible I was able to send and recieve MMS messages w/o using data enable.  In fact all Data connections were turned off.  IE no mobile network and no Wifi??

0 Likes
gman_808
Enthusiast - Level 1

Vanessa,

I have tried it with wifi off and wifi on...I dont think I have tried it with the 4G on.  I don't understand why that would be necessary to receive a picture message on a smart phone when it is not necessary on my trusty old dumb phone.

crzyruss

Pantech outbreak       same thing with the txt picture     I have to download it only when i hit the download button it doesnt do anything.     Also having trouble getting a connection to 4g

0 Likes
confused2

I got the Stratosphere on Nov. 25, 2011 and have nothing but problems with text messaging.  I have called technical support 28 times and reset my phone back to factory defaults.  Still having the same problem with the downloading of messaging. New phone was sent to me received it on Jan. 5, 2012 - imagine that... same issue.  I mentioned to third level support that there was a thread with others having this issue and he ignored my statement completely.  His best fix was to keep the data turned on at all times and not the WIFI so the text will automatically download. Sorry but that is no FIX.  My old phone had no data plan and I had no problems receiving text message.  The response I got was "that phone had automatic data free of charge" and no it was not a SmartPhone.  So that is where they get you, you dont need data unless you want to surf the web on your phone !!  I am going back to Samsumg Rogue (antique) selling my Stratosphere and cancelling my data plan.  I have contacted Samsung directly as well, they want me to call them with the issue.  PS - the phone I got from Radio Shack and they offered no support and could care less, make note not to purchase through other retailers.

0 Likes
giantsgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem but NO the wi-fi is not on when this happens- not that I understand why this should matter.

how can this be fixed?

jpezz
Enthusiast - Level 1

I found out that if Mobile Data is not enabled when the picture is received, it gets stuck and CAN NOT be retrieved NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO it seems. The only fix is to have the person resend the pic with the Mobile Data already enabled. The permanent fix is to have people text you that a pic is coming (text does not require Mobile Data) so you can be sure it is on.

It is a bug as far as I am concerned and I spent a lot of time with Verizon getting absolutely nowhere until one tech support person said that there were known problems with pics and the Strat but I have no idea if that problem will be fixed.

As an aside, I would have rated the local Verizon office as a zero for their assistance and the tech support people as a 3 out of 5.

Chrisk62
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Samsung Galaxy with this problem.  But I tried *228 option 2 and restart of the phone.  I turned off WiFi and turned on Mobile Data.  I was then able to download the pictures but only those that had not expired.

0 Likes