Premium SMS message for $10!!?
jimsuter

I've dropped by the local office to try and get this charge removed,

and my phone plan (pre-paid) set so that I no longer receive a

"premium SMS message". Any serious suggestions would

be helpful at this point, as the local personnel do not seem

to be knowledgeable enough to help me with this. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Premium SMS message for $10!!?
rcschnoor
Legend

You can sign into My Verizon and have Premium SMS blocked in your features.

As to having the charge removed, you can call *611 and they may or may not be able to take this charge off your current bill.

0 Likes
jimsuter

rcschnoor wrote:

You can sign into My Verizon and have Premium SMS blocked in your features.

As to having the charge removed, you can call *611 and they may or may not be able to take this charge off your current bill.

Okay, I'm on a 'pre-paid' account, and cannot find an option to block Premium SMS.

Give me something a little more detailed please, my patience with this is worn out.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi jimsuter,

I understand your discontent. I would be frustrated if I couldn't stop Premium SMS messages. Please note that Premium SMS message can also stopped by replying to one of the Premium SMS messages with the word STOP.

If you are unable to locate the option to block Premium SMS messages online as suggested by rcschnoor (thank you) please dial *611 on your prepay phone to contact our prepay customer service department and they will be able to block these messages for you. You can also call our prepay customer service department from any phone at (888) 294-6804, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

Let's be honest . Cell phone companies could easily stop these scams. However the dirty little secret is that they also make money off these through collection fees. About all you can do at the moment is pay the fee. However when enough people complain to the Consumer Affairs of their state, (just google consumer affairs and your state)  and when they get enough complaints maybe they will take action.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

The thing is, albiet a bit obscure in the small light gray writing on the TV or computer screen, these companies are notifying you as required by government agencies.

VZW does block truly fradulent sites, but the others some do want to access.

VZW does allow you to block all Premium sites so you are not charged.

rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

However , lets be honest. They could easily require some sort of verification from you before placing charges on your bill. While I keep a close eye on data usage I am unable to find on their site where it shows these charges before you recieve your monthly bill. Seems pretty convienient to then use the excuse its too late as I was told. What's "not too late" if you are unable to find out about these charges until its "too late"

budone
Legend

VZW is not providing the service just the data connection, so their site would not have the pricing. Again, just log into your account and block the services totally so you can not get signed up by accident.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

How many people are being caught up in this $10 trap. I would bet its costing consumers millions each year.  Verizon chooses to do nothing about it . Profit driven? You decide for yourself. Wonder how much is Verizon's take off these billing practices? If it happens to you notify Consumer Affairs in your state.  Its easy through the website. Only takes a few minutes to make a complaint. They will look into it if they get enough complaints. 

0 Likes
budone
Legend

VZW has the tools there, YOU need to take some responsibilty (YES YOU, not VZW, not Congress, not the President..... YOU) and take 10 seconds to block it

I do not believe all the other providers even offer an option for YOU to block premium messaging. 

Also if by chance someone does sign up by accident and calls VZW when they see it on the first bill it appears.... as they should see it. (They should be looking at all bills that come in) VZW has been good at crediting the charge as long as the customer agrees to have premium messaging blocked. You wait 6 months or longer.... sorry. Again the customer was not taking responsibility for their own affairs and should not be credited.

[Edited to comply with Terms of Service]