Re: Problem sending enhanced feature text to email
Webtalker

Carm wrote:

Webtalker wrote:
Let's try a different approach to solve this mystery... can someone tell me what is considered an "enhanced feature" in a text message?  Maybe if I had a list, I could talk to the senders about those specifics.

Enhanced messaging meaning to add graphic, animation, sound, but also font size, font style, text color and background color!

:smileysurprised: 

Thanks for the list of enhanced features.  Does anyone know of a way to reformat a message so that it can be forwarded to email?  It doesn't work to send or forward the message to my or another phone first or save the message as draft before sending.

0 Likes
Webtalker

PhonePrincess wrote:

mirenna,

the reason that you are NOT able to send enhanced messages to email is because the enhanced messaging service is ONLY available from one verizon wireless phone to another verizon wireless phone (obviously both phones would have to be enhanced messaging capable as well).

What you CAN do though is if you want to be able to send a long message instead of several short messages to someone...Try sending that particular person a pix message instead WITHOUT adding a pic. then what you can do is where it says subject(for the pic) and text(for the pic) you can enter in a text message there that is up to 1,000 characters.

That may be a way to work around your issue.

Thank you PhonePrincess, it did help - you've answer the 'why is this happening' question.  Is it possible to forward a non-pix message as a pix-message to an email address?  If so, I can test it to see if a text containing 'enhanced features' can be sent to email that way.

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

Webtalker wrote:

PhonePrincess wrote:

mirenna,

the reason that you are NOT able to send enhanced messages to email is because the enhanced messaging service is ONLY available from one verizon wireless phone to another verizon wireless phone (obviously both phones would have to be enhanced messaging capable as well).

What you CAN do though is if you want to be able to send a long message instead of several short messages to someone...Try sending that particular person a pix message instead WITHOUT adding a pic. then what you can do is where it says subject(for the pic) and text(for the pic) you can enter in a text message there that is up to 1,000 characters.

That may be a way to work around your issue.

Thank you PhonePrincess, it did help - you've answer the 'why is this happening' question.  Is it possible to forward a non-pix message as a pix-message to an email address?  If so, I can test it to see if a text containing 'enhanced features' can be sent to email that way.

Nope! I can't figure out, nor do I think the phone can send a text as a mms.

I actually think there are ' unseen tags '  that are sent in the message that you do not see that are actually part of the message to tell the receiving phone what to display, and how to display it. I hardly doubt that it actually sends files or sounds, or animations via a text message. 

Since your email is completely clueless as to what the ' tags ' mean it would most likely show up as garbage in your email.

:smileyindifferent: 

0 Likes
PhonePrincess
Contributor - Level 2

web,

I dont see why it wouldnt work. Best thing to do would be to try it. what's the worst that could happen, right? lol

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

I already stated that it can't be done. I tested it, and It does not work on two of my phones, furthermore the programming in the phone forbids forwarding a enhanced message to email, and you can not forward a text to pix message.

{keep it relevant}

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-20-2009 06:12 PM
0 Likes
PhonePrincess
Contributor - Level 2

carm,

have you tried to forward the enhanced message to whateveryour10digitphonenumberis@vtext.com? then what you could do is forward THAT message to your email? will you let me know if that is successful?

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

Ummmmmm you can not do this like a said b4 in the above post, and know all the little tricks to it, and I can't. The phone's programming disallows this function.

Did YOU try this?

If not please do and tell me your results.

Thank You

0 Likes
enV3Forum
Enthusiast - Level 1

I noticed these posts were back in 6/09... so maybe this is an old or resolved issue, but I have not seen a solution.  So, I would like to post my 2 cents.  And, I AM NO WHERE NEAR A CELL PHONE TEXTING/EMAILING EXPERT... I just discovered something that others might try re: this issue.

I too would get the same warning message ("Messages with enhanced features cannot be sent to email") if I tried to FORWARD a text (from my Sent Box) to an email address.  There are times when I need to save the message, like some of you and emailing seemed a good way to do this. 

I would frequently get this warning and could not work around it.  I read and tried each suggestion in the posts and I agree with many... it seemed inconsistent to get this warning on some messages but not others, with no reason or logic.

Sorry if this post is long, but I am a first timer, but wanted to pass on what I accidentally discovered and it was only because of tenacity.

Possible things you can try (they worked for me as a work-around):

1) Yes, you can send all your messages as Picture Texts, but that seemed overkill

2) I found out by testing this, that if I needed the message I was composing to also go to an email, I just entered the email address as the second contact line in addition to the person I was sending it to.  NOTE:  I had to get the email address in the contact line BEFORE composing the message.  If I tried to add after I created the message, it would not work... but see below as to maybe why

3) However, for many messages already sent, if I tried to FORWARD to an email, I got the above error message of enhanced features.  It did work for some and not other msgs I was trying to send to an email.  I discovered what was happening for these:  If you exceed the maximum of 160 characters, you will get this error and it won't let you forward to email.  If your original msg (that you are now forwarding) was already at 160 characters, the forwarded msg adds the text "FWD:" to the body of the text.  That takes it over 160 and will not work.  BUT... I found that the email address ITSELF is counted in the 160 characters.  If was forwarding a message, I needed to remove enough characters until I reached 160 characters, less the character length of the email address.  For example, my email address is 15 characters long... so I had to reduce the original text down to 145 max (160-15) and once I did that... IT ALLOWED ME TO ENTER THE EMAIL ADDRESS WITHOUT GETTING THE ERROR MESSAGE. 

This seems like a lot of hoops but is easier to do than describe above.  Basically, if a SENT box msg is that important to you and you want to save it by sending to an email, all you have to do is delete some characters to get the number down to 160 less your email address length.  If you don't do this, you will get the Enhanced Feature message and be blocked.  The moment I was able to reduce the msg length, it worked every time.

I found that doing option 2) above saves time because you are doing it all at the same time (as opposed to doing 3) after the fact).  But doing that option, you are still limited to the 160 less email address length, fyi.  So, for me, if I keep my new limit at 145 characters, I can easily send to an email address.

I am not really very "techy" or good at this kind of thing, but thought I would just put this out there in the forum because it was a real hassle for me and thought I would share, at least while I can still remember how I got around this issue.  Then you can delete your Saved messages to free up room.

If anyone tries this or cares any longer, I would be interested to know if it worked for you... just out of curiosity.  Thanks and Sorry this was a way long post... I just couldn't get the explanation to make sense without all this detail.

n8ronj

I was successful at doing that:  sending an "enhanced" message to my own number.  I still could not do anything with it from there.

I was actually messing around by recording a sound and trying to Send it to my email.  I have done this before without any problems.  In fact, I did it one month ago.  It turns the .qcp sound file into a .mp3 file.  But, it's not working anymore b/c I get that error message.

Did something change?  Did vzw take away the feature or is it my phone?  (LG Chocolate 3)

0 Likes
n8ronj

Here's the deal:  I got it to work.  I did the *228 thing since I knew I hadn't done a software update in quite a while.  After that, it worked.  And, I need to correct something.  It turns the .qcp into a .wav - not .mp3 like I previously stated.

0 Likes