SMS/MMS Question..."Could not retrieve msg..."
Joel_W

Good Morning Everyone,

I've searched through the bulletin board and couldn't find a similar question posted so here goes...

I received an SMS/MMS with an attachement.  However, when I attempt to retrieve the message, I get an error message "Could not retrieve message content. Try again later."  I've tried numerous times to retrieve the contents of this message to no avail.  Any suggestions?  I've tried to foward the message to an email address and also requested the sender send the msg again.  Still get the same message,( "Could not retrieve..."etc,.) 

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMS/MMS Question..."Could not retrieve msg..."
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of file is the attachment?  A picture?  A word doc? A pdf?  Perhaps it's a file type that the phone cannot open, or maybe it's too big?  Just throwing out ideas.....

0 Likes
Protege
Contributor - Level 1

Is it a picture message, a mms.  Is it a video message?

What is the make and model of your phone?  (yes this actually matters)

Are they sending it to you via e-mail or text?

0 Likes
Joel_W

SuzyQ & Protege, thanks for responding and for your questions, I'm using a BB Storm.  The file is just a picture and the size is about 30k.  I asked the sender if they were attempting to send the file via MMS rather SMS and they told me they were attempting to send the file via MMS. 

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

Is the sender one of your contacts? If not try this:  Go into "Options">MMS>Multimedia Reception: Always,  Automatic Retrival: Always,  Notifications: check marks in (Allow Delivery Confirmation and Confirm Delivery).  "No" check marks in Message Filtering (Reject Anonymous Messages and Reject Advertisements) click Blackberry Button and click "Save." Hope this helps.:smileywink: 

0 Likes
Joel_W

Hey SaNDman, Thanks for the suggestions!  Gave it a try but still nothing :smileysad:  Just as an aside, this person is one of my contacts and a memeber of Verizion Wireless.  I'm apparently not the only person having issues getting this message so the solution may not lie with me, could be their phone settings instead.  Thank you again!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Joel_W wrote:

...I'm apparently not the only person having issues getting this message ...

If the picture is not coming through to anyone, perhaps the file itself is corrupt, or there is some other issue with the file.  What format is the picture file?  The majority of photos sent/received/taken with cell phones are .jpg and maybe he's trying to send a format not recognized by most phones? 

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

Do this contact have MMS service on the phone? Try sending picture via Bluetooth and see, but i know you have to be close to use Bluetooth. Maybe this picture is corupt?:smileysad:

0 Likes
spartacus

BB Storms and Palm hand helds cannot send or receive pictures without incurring MB fees.

You can block this through customer service to ensure you dont' incur additional monthly charges.

You will/can still receive MMS messages (pic) but when you try to open the pic you get the error "could not retreive message"...

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I agree with SuzyQ that the file might be corrupted.  Have the person resend the file.  Bear in mind, Blackberry devices have a 3mb limit on the size of files that can be sent.  If you still can not receive it via MMS, have them send it via email.

Doc

0 Likes