Security Codes never arrive or only after long delay and don't work
jeffsti123

Similar to other users here I'm trying to register a new Android tablet using Verizon Message+ and having issues getting the security code.

On the tablet I enter my cell# and wait for the security code text to the phone.

Sometimes code never arrives or it arrives a couple of hours later.

Because of the design of the app after hitting cancel my only option is to reenter my cell # and if/when a text arrives the security code never works on the tablet entry screen. Of course by now I've attempted to send myself 8-10 numbers and due to the delay who knows which is the correct one, for the few that have arrived.

My current tablet (registered last year but with now a broken screen) is still working and gets and can send texts without delays or issues.

Although I don't see why it should matter the phone is Galaxy S5, the new tablet is Galaxy Tab S 8.4.

On the tablet I've tried clearing data and clearing the cache without any apparent difference.

Not sure what else to do. Very disappointing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Security Codes never arrive or only after long delay and don't work
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jeffsti123 (and others) ... tried again this afternoon and successfully registered my Nexus 7.  Uninstalled, reinstalled the app (same version as before), and requested Security Code.  Unlike the last couple of days, the code arrived in just a few seconds.  After typing it in, the tablet is once again able to Send/Receive text messages and is syncing with my other devices (old basic phone and iPad w/ iOS version of app installed).  Don't know what changed (or perhaps happened on Verizon's end?), but it seems to be working again. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
LanceA1972

I'm having same issue on my Iphone 6.  It has me type in the number I want to use and is suppose to send a text and I get it maybe 3 hours later and then when I add the code it doesn't work.  I called tech support and they are telling me I need a new iphone lol. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jeffsti123,

We certainly want to make sure you get your Verizon Messages up and running without any issue. How long hve you been having this issue? How long does it usually take for the text to arrive? Do your other texts still work quickly?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jeffsti123

The issue began around 6 PM ET Aug 10 when I was installing apps and setting up my new tablet. I assume the tablet has sent the request because it then shifts to the "enter the code" screen.

It's difficult to tell how long it takes a security code to arrive because I sent multiple from the new tablet and because some arrived overnight and fewer have arrived than were sent. However, since my last attempt, around 9:50 AM this morning no new code has arrived to my cell phone (it's 11:20 AM to that 1 hr 30 min so far).

Others texts are working without issue. I can send a text from my broken tablet (over Wifi) and see it on my cell phone almost immediately. I can also get texts to my cell phone without issue. It appears only the security code text are delayed so I presume it is not a cell phone issue but something going on with their Messaging service.

The other posts I've seen in this community in the last day or so seem seems to back up that assertion.

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same problem.  Security Code never arrives (or arrives hours later), then doesn't work when entered after being prompted on my Android tablet (Nexus 7).  Don't know if the recent Android update caused the problem (coincidence?), but ... this app was setup and working PERFECTLY prior to the v. 5.6.6 update, then stopped sending messages after the update (note that it still worked/works fine on my iPhone).  Uninstalled then reinstalled the app on the Nexus 7, and have been unable to (re)register due to this Security Code issue.  I first experienced the problem on 8/10 (yesterday), which was when I performed the app update.  In my opinion, there DEFINITELY appears to be a problem on Verizon's end with the "registration" process.

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jeffsti123 (and others) ... tried again this afternoon and successfully registered my Nexus 7.  Uninstalled, reinstalled the app (same version as before), and requested Security Code.  Unlike the last couple of days, the code arrived in just a few seconds.  After typing it in, the tablet is once again able to Send/Receive text messages and is syncing with my other devices (old basic phone and iPad w/ iOS version of app installed).  Don't know what changed (or perhaps happened on Verizon's end?), but it seems to be working again. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jeffsti123

Thanks for the tip. Also uninstalled/reinstalled. And like you got a code within seconds that worked.

0 Likes
milehiguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Glad I could help!  As I mentioned in my first post, I tried the uninstall/reinstall yesterday, but it didn't help.  Leads me to believe that something changed (overnight or today?) on their end with the registration service.  In any case, glad it's working again.

0 Likes