Soft on SPAM
spamhater

Verizon allows me to list the sources of unwanted SPAM text messages and block them individually.  TOO LATE! It seems that if Verizon was really serious about tackling this problem, it would invite users to give more information about the unwanted SPAM including the content of the message.  Upon reviewing it against their policy, which should be no unsolicited commercial text messages ever ever, it could block the source for everybody.  Unless I'm the first person in history to receive a message from a particular dirtbag spammer, I would not have received it in the first place.

My impression is that Verizon is soft on SPAM regardless of the happy noises they make on their website.

Question:  Is there any place I can send details about SPAM to someone at Verizon who cares?  Does Verizon ever do mass SPAM blockings, or are they OK with relying on annoyed customers to block individually?

Specific spammer:

From 562-879-5270:

Solicits high interest loans to desperate people.  Dirt bag alert!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Soft on SPAM
Wildman
Legend

You are viewing thing from inside a bubble because Verizon has no method to know what is officially spam for everyone, just because you don't want information from a number of person doesn't mean that other wouldn't want the information, believe it or not some users request for advertisement to be email to their devices.

So I wouldnt blast on Verizon because I am sure if a spam blocker was put in place and messages dont come through from people you want to hear from you would be upset, this happens all the time with web spam blockers so I dont see this not being a issue for a mobile devicecs messages.

0 Likes
spamhater

Here's the idea, Wildman:  First of all, I assume that Verizon has a policy that it does not allow text messages that are unsolicited advertisements for a commercial product.  I don't know if this is true but call it option 1.  Option 2 would be that it allows its users to opt out of unsolicited advertisements for commercial products via text messaging.  Either way, this could be a very clear and unambiguous rule.  Then IF someone is reported to have sent an unsolicited advertising message, and the content of the message is confirmed as being in violation of this policy, then case closed.  The sender's messages are banned (or at least blocked from the opt-outs).  You may ask, "But what if a sender sends a mixture of personal and commercial messages?"  So what!  They don't get my sympathy.  I'm not saying it has to be this way.  I'm saying that this is how Verizon COULD act if wanted to be aggressive against SPAM.  But they don't.  They only talk it up on the web.  What they actually DO to combat SPAM is clearly not very effective.  That's why I say they are soft.  It's not really such a "blast" as you put it.  It's just an observation.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Exactly explain how they are going to police this? There is a thing called privacy which they have to honor and someone is bound to call them tracking text as invasion of privacy. There's other underlying facts as well. All cellphone numbers are public. DNC Registry was founded to allow people to make their numbers unlisted.  All carriers fought this and wanted to keep their numbers private, but their customers ignored what the carriers were saying when this was going on. Telemarketers won... Your one option is now to go to the Registry and register you number as private and give it time(up to 30 days iirc). Keep in mind if you ever give your number to certain business' or companies their affiliates are allowed to contact you for up to 3 months(make sure you read if they share information to affiliates). They also should have an option to opt out as well.  The DNC has guidelines and explains everything to you on their site.

It can be found here.  You can find all the information about the Do Not Call Registry

Wildman
Legend

you expressed this well, so many want features because they want it but on the same note they dont think what is being expected...  And of course as soon as they realize that the information need to accomplish this intruded on their privacy then they choose to cry wolf and sue...

No matter what its a no win situation...

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi community:

I'd like to provide some info about the spam situation. I hate spam just as much as the next person, and I found some helpful information for you all. Verizon Wireless DOES have a number you can forward messages to if you happen to receive an unsolicited advertisement. If you receive a spam message, please open that message and forward it to SPAM (7726). You will then get a reply requesting the number that the message came from. Reply to the system-generated message, and it goes to our SPAM Prevention Team for investigation.  I do not have access to their internal policies (where it goes from there), but we have very aggressive spam prevention measures. In a nutshell, if you get a spam message, forward it to SPAM (7726), and it will be investigated.

I know you all mentioned the spam blocking measures you can take individually, but for those who need to access them, they can be directly controlled at www.verizonwireless.com/spamcontrols.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please reply with any follow up questions/concerns.

Regards,

MikeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Wildman
Legend

Thanks Mike, That is some nice information to know...

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for posting this, Mike.

0 Likes