Re: Spam message from my own phone number?
awkwardturtle31415
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support @Damien

I do not have any private messages. I just checked and there's nothing there.

0 Likes
awkwardturtle31415
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support @Tracy

Thank you for the link to the press release about preventing spam texts. I'm glad to see Verizon is taking security seriously. 

However, the only advice in the article and given on this forum, has been to report the text and block the number. Which is great and I wouldn't hesitate to do so, except that the spam message is coming from my phone number. To report it would be to report my number as a spammer, which is definitely not what I want. 

Is there anything I can do that won't flag my phone number as spam?

0 Likes
jrodger7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not true.....

0 Likes
jrodger7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am sure you are doing everything you can to stop this. Please stop calling it "spoofing." This is more than "spoofing" when it shows up on my bill as coming to and from my own number. Its more than spoofing. 

jrodger7
Enthusiast - Level 2

Seeing that the US runs the internet. Just cut Russia off from the internet. Then they wont be able to hack. This is not that hard. 

0 Likes
awkwardturtle31415
Enthusiast - Level 2

@vzw_customer_support @Roger The text message was received on Sunday, 27 March 2022 at 8:21 CDT. I did not click the link as I thought it was very suspicious and alarming that it was from my phone number.

Original Post:

I just received a Text Message from "Me" (that is, my phone number). It says: "Free Msg: Your bill is paid for March. Thanks, here's a little gift for you: einsj46.xyz/MabOs44aoh" below the message it says "not shown in Shared With You". I'm not clicking the rando link. My bill was paid on March 7, so i don't think Verizon sent the message. Usually those come with "VZW FREE MSG:" at the beginning anyway. I'm not sure how someone could send a message from my number.  Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do?

0 Likes
BS34

I’ve had the same thing happen not once but twice and don’t know what to do about it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Chinalea67, thanks so much for reaching out to us about this. Trust me, I totally undrstand how you feel about them. I get them as well. All carriers are diligently working to combat this issue daily. I recommend that you do not click on any links in the message and delete it. This is a form of Spam called Caller ID Spoofing. The link below provides more details.

http://spr.ly/6607KQcVR

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BenThere1, we understand everyone's concern regarding the messages. We are actively working on behalf of our customers to resolve this issue. 

-Tionna

Some1inWSuffield
Enthusiast - Level 1

FWIW... I just received this message today which appeared as I sent it to myself:

"Free Msg: Your bill is paid for March. Thanks, here's a little gift for you: vuau22.xyz/wbClmd2CHB" 

When I look at the Message Info (long press, message info...), the "From" shows "Verizon Wireless". But, after I sent a "real" text to myself, the From of that message shows my name and not "Verizon Wireless"