Re: Spam message from my own phone number?
Some1inWSuffield
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also FWIW.... there are many articles online about this problem...

0 Likes
danaoracle
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes Verizon - what is the solution?

I have been bombarded by spam lately this was just the last one

0 Likes
Hacksawjd

I fell for it.  I got the same message.  Clicked on link and came to what appeared to be a legit Verizon page offering a free gift (gen 7 smart watch) if I took the short survey.  It asked how long I had been with Verizon, how often I upgraded phones, how satisfied I was with the phone service.

After the survey it took me to the gift page which said I would just have to pay S&H $7.95 to recieve gen 7 apple smart watch.  I filled out the email, shipping info and payment info.  When I hit enter it took me to another page which offered an upgrade for $21.99 more.  The button at the bottom of the page said your not done yet click continue to complete order.  I did not select the upgrade but hit continue.

Where it asked if I wanted rapid shipping or free shipping.  I selected free shipping.  It then took me to a page that showed I had been charged both the $7.95 and the 21.99 for a set of ear pods.

I even got confirmation email for the orders.  I was kinda upset they charged me for the the upgrade when I didn't request it.

Didn't suspect it was a complete ripoff till the local sheriff posted about it on Facebook.  

I did this yesterday.  I contacted my CC company.  They said they couldn't do anything about the charges.  They recommended canceling the CC and they would send a new one.

0 Likes
loloev

This has happened to me TWICe in the past 2 days!!! I'm not clicking it, but I did forward it to the SPAM department at Verizon and gave them my number! I won't reply to it either, and I have already blocked my number from being sold, because someone tried to transfer my phone number last week to another carrier! Thank goodness Verizon texted me!!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are actively working with others in our industry and with U.S. Law Enforcement as part of an investigation aimed at identifying and stopping these fraudsters and their illegal actions. We will continue this work on behalf of our customers.

-Nicci

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Jenmontes. This is calling Caller ID spoofing. Fraudsters will mask the number they are using with either your mobile number (Not really your number but it appears so on the caller ID)or some other phone number. We would recommend getting Call Filter (Search your app store for this app), to block spam. The app is free but it does have paid premium option as well. You can also report them by forwarding the text to 7726 (Spam). 

*Cassie

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spam calls and text are a major inconvenience and we're sorry to see you're going through this situation. Our goal is to provide you with alternatives to get this issue resolved. We have sent you a Private Note, please meet us there.

~Gina

0 Likes
Bellisima70

I also received this text from my own number the other day. Deleted it.

Someone with a line on my account received the same text from his number simultaneously from an unknown number. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jrodger7. When a call or text comes through, we are provided the Caller ID information from the service provider the caller or texter is using. 

*Cassie

0 Likes