Spam or legit text message
Ldawson
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a text from 1-860-996-2595 that reads "Thank you for your payment! Please accept our special rebate from VZN of $200 coveringwforest.com/?#WR4FMBI" 

Is this spam or is it real?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Spam or legit text message
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MinChicago21 wrote:

Thanks. What are we supposed to do when we receive spoofed messages, Ellisandra?

Report it to SPAM (7726) so Verizon can see it. Follow the instructions in the reply to provide the number where it came from. Then you can delete or block it from your phone. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks fishy to me. If it had actually come from Verizon Wireless, it would have come from a very different phone number and the abbreviation of Verizon Wireless would have been not how it was done in your example. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Ldawson wrote:

I received a text from 1-860-996-2595 that reads "Thank you for your payment! Please accept our special rebate from VZN of $200 coveringwforest.com/?#WR4FMBI" 

Is this spam or is it real?

If that was a link in the text message, it is sending you to a (non-Verizon) website from Iceland:

https://www.whois.com/whois/coveringwforest.com .  Definitely a PHISHING attempt.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
LB0922
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have received this text as well. I don’t believe it’s a real text from Verizon as I have not recently made a payment. 

0 Likes
BrutalElder
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received a similar text as well right after making a payment. The link I got was:

"temperamentdomoist .com/ ?#fam23fn"

Definitely seems like a phishing attempt, although I have to admit, seeing that I had just made a payment... I almost clicked on it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yes, this is definitely spam and not a real text from Verizon. Please be careful not to open any links and forward the suspected spam text message to short code 7726 to get it reported. Thank you! ~Christian

mrussnow

How do you forward such texts?  Mine says: "Your latest bill has been paid, please accept your special rebate and gift of $250 from VZN! deepjspoil.com/?#ucJga1N."   It comes from ### ### ####.   And how would they know I was a Verizon customer?  Even a spam call just dials (or in this case texts) random numbers.  Very odd.  I have blocked the number from my account.  It will not let me put the URL into this question.

I cannot find a "forward" feature as I read this text online (not directly on my phone).

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mrussnow wrote:

How do you forward such texts?  Mine says: "Your latest bill has been paid, please accept your special rebate and gift of $250 from VZN! deepjspoil.com/?#ucJga1N."   It comes from 309 XXX-XXXX.   And how would they know I was a Verizon customer?  Even a spam call just dials (or in this case texts) random numbers.  Very odd.  I have blocked the number from my account.  It will not let me put the URL into this question.

I cannot find a "forward" feature as I read this text online (not directly on my phone).

You need to open the message conversation and long press the message itself (carefully to avoid opening the link).  At the long press, you will get a dialog menu with an option to forward the message.  You then send the message to 7726 which spells SPAM on the dialer.  You will get a reply from the 7726 asking for the number where the message came from.  You will then reply with the phone number that sent it.

Niksunshine
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received the same message from an odd number as well number so I forward the message I received to ask verizOn and this is the reply I received.......

Thank you for contacting Verizon! We've launched a brand new messaging experience that will help you get the answers you need. Feel free to ask us a question. 

https://www.yourdigitalrebatecenter.com/?intcmp=INT-MYV-webview

By continuing, you acknowledge that information exchanged in Apple Business Chat is available to Apple and may be used per Apple's privacy policy at www.apple.com/legal/privacy/en-ww/. We may monitor or retain the chat for quality or security purposes. Chats are initially handled by our Digital Assistant but may be transferred to a live chat rep.

0 Likes
Niksunshine
Enthusiast - Level 2

After I forward the message to Verizon to ask if it was legit or not why did I receive a message from Verizon confirming that it was legit?