Text messages about 659-XXX-XXXX is a landline#...
WesNie

I randomly receive text messages from 900080004222 saying "659xxxxxxx is a landline#. Reply Y to send all TXT messages ...."  I saw the earlier post about this in a previous discussion that said this was legitimate message and that a text message to a contact defaulted to a home phone (landline).  This is NOT what is occurring in my experience.  I receive these messages at seemingly random times (middle of the night, while I am at work and haven't texted in 3-4 hours, while driving and have not texted in many hours).   I am checking my bills regularly and fortunately, I do not seem to be billed for these.  However, I do not know how they originate, I don't trust them and would like to block them (but can't seem to do that) and would like them to stop.

<<Full phone number removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator <<>>

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text messages about 6592324290 is a landline#...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WesNie,

I am so sorry you are receiving text messages from this odd number. Have you ever in the past tried to text the number that it states is a land line number? Do you notice the landline number at all? How long have you been receiving these messages?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Text messages about 659-XXX-XXXX is a landline#...
WesNie

Hi Lindsey,

I started receiving these messages sporadically about 5-6 months ago.

I do not recall any problem texts or notices or error messages prior to

these messages showing up.

I have not ever tried to text to this number.  In fact, I looked up the

area code and it does not exist.  There is no such area code.  I

suspect that the entire number is false and does not exist.  It is not

flagged by my security software (Trend Micro).

I have not replied to any of the messages and from what I can tell, I

have not been charged the $0.25 per message as claimed in the text.

Let me know what to do.  Why is this occurring?

Regards,

Wes

Private info removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the additional information WesNie! You can stop this messages by sending a text message to 900080004222 with the message OPT OUT 659-XXX-XXXX were you will replace the Xs with the actual number you get.

AntonioC_VZW Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
WesNie

I followed your advice and did the OPT OUT 659-xxx-xxxx   I also put this number on the block list.  This seemed to work for about 6 days.  Today I received 4 of these messages.  Obviously OPT OUT did not work.  It also appears that Blocking does not work.

I also received one of the silent messages (no notification, no alerts, nothing - it just shows up in my message list).

The message is as follows;

+65 923204290

%1hpy70X----- where ---- are a series of characters, numbers, and ascii characters totaling about 120 characters in all. 

The +65 prefix is an international call supposedly from somewhere in the Caribbean.

I would really like these messages to stop.  The advice given so far does not work.  I cannot block the international number as Verizon only allows 10 digit numbers and international calls are >10 digits. 

Can someone please provide some help that works on how to stop these?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update WesNie. Let's look into this a little deeper. Are you able to call the number to verify its origin? If the call is from an international number then another option is a mobile telephone number change. If you are interested in this option then you can change your number online at My Verizon absolutely free.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes
WesNie

Hi Arnett,

Pardon me, but calling the number seems like a very bad idea.  First off, there is no such area code as 659.  Secondly, calling an international number just to see if it works will incur charges on my account and leaves the door open for malicious software (i.e. re-routing code) so someone can use my phone and account to make unlimited calling while I get charged for it.  

With regards to me changing my number, I would prefer not to.   It would require me to notify and change my number for family, friends, businesses, co-workers, etc.  I do not see why the burden of responsibility should be on my shoulders as this is obviously a phone and/or phone service provider issue.  For example, the +65 923 ... texts (referred to in an earlier e-mail) that do not cause notifications or alerts only started after the last Galaxy Siii software update.   

I am eligible for an upgrade and new phone which I plan to get in the next couple of weeks and hopefully this will solve the problem for me but it does not address the underlying root cause and problem. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern Wes! I can certainly look further into this in effort to research if there are any additional options. Please accept my follow request, follow me and send me a direct message so I may further assist. Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How To: Direct Message  and  TominqueBo_VZW

0 Likes