Text messaging/Premium messaging scam
mamoore1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

I began receiving text messages from Brain Cool IQ last month, from the short code number 944-08.  I just ignored it, thinking it was some harmless spam that I'd somehow gotten, but I wasn't worried because I've signed up on the Do Not Call list.

Earlier tonight I got another message that said it would be billed at $9.99 a month and would renew next week.  This alarmed me, since I knew I'd not signed up for any service to renew.  I checked My Verizon, and sure enough, I had an extra $9.99 on my bill for some reason.

I'll be blocking premium messaging here shortly, but how do I get this sorted out and make sure I don't pay that extra $10 on my bill.  I didn't sign up for any service, I didn't authorize anyone to access my Verizon account, and I certainly didn't authorize any extra charges.  I tend to be very careful about entering personal information online, and I do not believe I have done so in any illegitimate sites.  The text messages actually say to call 18888906150 for help, but I don't want to call this service since it's obviously a scam.  I don't know what more harm could come from calling it.  I want to make sure this is taken care of immediately.  How do I get this extra charge on my bill rectified?

I would appreciate it if someone from Verizon could get in touch with me regarding this.  I'll be stopping by a store tomorrow, but I want this taken care of before my bill is auto-paid on 4/22.   I've posted several replies about this on other threads.  I don't mean to spam, but this is clearly an issue many people are experiencing.  Third parties should not be allowed to bill Verizon customers, especially so when it's an unverified charge like this.  I would appreciate it if a customer service rep could aid me in getting this charge removed from my bill.  Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text messaging/Premium messaging scam
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call customer service from another phone and ask nicely to have the charge removed. Then ask the rep to put the premium message block on your line if it hasn't already been done.

Also posting duplicates and crossposting of the same message across the forum is against the TOS for the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mamoore1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I can understand the TOS, but It was somewhat unintentional.  I was trying to post, submitted, and then realized the thread didn't have any recent activity.  I was a little frazzled after seeing the charge, but I'll be more patient in the future.  It looks like my posts have been removed anyway.

But why should I use another phone?  I don't have a landline; my cell phone is the only one I have.  I did already put a premium message block on my line though.  Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you've already put the premium message block on, the go ahead and call CS from your cell (*611) and see if they will credit your the $9.99 fee as a one-time courtesy.  They did for me when this happened a couple of years ago; I've added the block and it hasn't happened again. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
mamoore1982
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called customer service from my phone to get this taken care of, and everything went great. 

If anyone else has the same problems, just know that I got this resolved immediately.  I put the block on premium messaging last night, and this morning I saw a Verizon Support tweet about this same issue that recommended forwarding the spam message to 7726.  I did that and followed some instructions that were replied back to me.  Then I went ahead and called customer service, told them the problem, and they issued a credit right away.  I just checked and it went into effect immediately.

Like I said, if anyone else has this problem, these steps resolved it perfectly for me.  Good job, Verizon.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yay!  It's good to hear of a successful resolution!  Thanks for taking the time to report back.

0 Likes
jennelltyger

Why do you say call from another phone?  Is there an issue if you call from the phone that it was charged on?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

From what I remember there are some troubleshooting and account information that can't be accessed if you call from the phone you are having trouble with.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes