Texting to Canada
Gloriama

Hello,

I have a friend that lives in Toronto and we want to be able to text each other.  From what I have read here on the community forums, and from what Verizon employees have stated on the forums, I shouldn't be charged extra for these texts because my plan includes unlimited texting.  I just want to make sure that this is still the case, because those community threads are old, before he and I text a lot and accrue a huge bill because I was under the assumption that the texts wouldn't be charged an international rate.

If someone from Verizon could verify this, I would really appreciate it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Texting to Canada
Not applicable

I send and receive texts from the USA when in Montreal PQ

And have never been charged.

However I have not ever sent to any Canadian device from my Verizon phone. Nor has my friends in Canada ever sent one to me while in Canada. I know a pal said his provider charges him .20¢ for each text.

So call *611 or 1-800-922-0204 and verify before you incur any charges.

• Network changes may impact your data service in Canada .  For the best roaming experience, call customer service at 800-922-0204 to activate a global plan. Data speeds may be significantly slower in western Canada in CDMA mode. GSM manual selection will be required for optimum speeds with a 4G LTE Global Ready device
  • Global Picture and Video Messages are billed at the same per-message rate as though they were sent from the U.S. Accordingly, you can send/receive Picture and Video Messages with customers of:
    • Verizon Wireless (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Other domestic carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Canadian, Mexican and Puerto Rican carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Select International carriers (global rates apply) 
  • When sending or receiving there's an additional data transport charge billed at the destination's Data Pay per Use Rate multiplied by the size of the Picture or Video, which can vary greatly.
  • A data network is required to send picture or video outside the U.S. See the Data Roaming List for eligible destinations.
  • Attempts to send Pictures or Videos are charged, even if the delivery fails.
  • Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Texting to Canada
Not applicable

I send and receive texts from the USA when in Montreal PQ

And have never been charged.

However I have not ever sent to any Canadian device from my Verizon phone. Nor has my friends in Canada ever sent one to me while in Canada. I know a pal said his provider charges him .20¢ for each text.

So call *611 or 1-800-922-0204 and verify before you incur any charges.

• Network changes may impact your data service in Canada .  For the best roaming experience, call customer service at 800-922-0204 to activate a global plan. Data speeds may be significantly slower in western Canada in CDMA mode. GSM manual selection will be required for optimum speeds with a 4G LTE Global Ready device
  • Global Picture and Video Messages are billed at the same per-message rate as though they were sent from the U.S. Accordingly, you can send/receive Picture and Video Messages with customers of:
    • Verizon Wireless (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Other domestic carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Canadian, Mexican and Puerto Rican carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Select International carriers (global rates apply) 
  • When sending or receiving there's an additional data transport charge billed at the destination's Data Pay per Use Rate multiplied by the size of the Picture or Video, which can vary greatly.
  • A data network is required to send picture or video outside the U.S. See the Data Roaming List for eligible destinations.
  • Attempts to send Pictures or Videos are charged, even if the delivery fails.
  • Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.

Good Luck

0 Likes