Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Texting while in Canada
rb1234

The website is somwhat unclear about texting rates while in Canada.  It says:

"While traveling in the U.S.,Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico text messages sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers will not be applied against any monthly text messaging allowance and are charged the following:

• $0.25/address sent
  • $0.20/message received

Text messages sent to phone numbers in Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico are charged domestic rates per your plan. "

Does this mean while in Canada texting to a US number would be counted included at no additional charge if I have an unlimited text plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting while in Canada
gkamieneski

I too, am wondering about this.  I did a search and got more confused.  Let me ask it this way;

I have a family plan with the 250 texting  on the 2 phones.  If both of our phones are in Canada, what happens if they text each other?  Are there surcharges or does it just count against the 250 for both phones?

Now say 1 of the phones is in Canada and one home in the U.S.  Same 250  texting plan on the Family Share.  What happens when these 2 phones text each other?  Just count against the 250 or are there surcharges because one of the phones is in Canada?

Finally, 1 phone in Canada makes texts send/receive to another U.S. carrier phone presently in the U.S.  What happens there?

thx,

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Novice

Texting U.S.  numbers will not be charged while in Canada,Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, it will go towards the text message package that you are on. If a Canada, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico number is texted or receive a text that is when the charges will apply $0.25 per address for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text message you receive. 

0 Likes
arichard21

Ms_Shonta wrote:

Texting U.S.  numbers will not be charged while in Canada,Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, it will go towards the text message package that you are on. If a Canada, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico number is texted or receive a text that is when the charges will apply $0.25 per address for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text message you receive. 

sorry, but this is wrong. when either texting FROM CANADA to a us or canadian number, OR texting a CANADIAN number from the US it is the same as domestic. if you have a texting plan, IT WILL COST YOU NOTHING. 

I travel to canada twice a month and have NEVER been charged for texting while there to both us and canadian numbers, nor have i ever been charged for texting a canadian number or recieving one from a canadian number while in the us. 

Now, if you DONT have a texting plan, then at that point the charge would be 25 cents for each sent and 20 cents for recieved. 

0 Likes