Texting while in Canada
rb1234

The website is somwhat unclear about texting rates while in Canada.  It says:

"While traveling in the U.S.,Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico text messages sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers will not be applied against any monthly text messaging allowance and are charged the following:

• $0.25/address sent
  • $0.20/message received

Text messages sent to phone numbers in Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico are charged domestic rates per your plan. "

Does this mean while in Canada texting to a US number would be counted included at no additional charge if I have an unlimited text plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting while in Canada
gkamieneski
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too, am wondering about this.  I did a search and got more confused.  Let me ask it this way;

I have a family plan with the 250 texting  on the 2 phones.  If both of our phones are in Canada, what happens if they text each other?  Are there surcharges or does it just count against the 250 for both phones?

Now say 1 of the phones is in Canada and one home in the U.S.  Same 250  texting plan on the Family Share.  What happens when these 2 phones text each other?  Just count against the 250 or are there surcharges because one of the phones is in Canada?

Finally, 1 phone in Canada makes texts send/receive to another U.S. carrier phone presently in the U.S.  What happens there?

thx,

0 Likes
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

Texting U.S.  numbers will not be charged while in Canada,Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, it will go towards the text message package that you are on. If a Canada, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico number is texted or receive a text that is when the charges will apply $0.25 per address for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text message you receive. 

0 Likes
arichard21

Ms_Shonta wrote:

Texting U.S.  numbers will not be charged while in Canada,Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, it will go towards the text message package that you are on. If a Canada, Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico number is texted or receive a text that is when the charges will apply $0.25 per address for every text message you send and $0.20 for every text message you receive. 

sorry, but this is wrong. when either texting FROM CANADA to a us or canadian number, OR texting a CANADIAN number from the US it is the same as domestic. if you have a texting plan, IT WILL COST YOU NOTHING. 

I travel to canada twice a month and have NEVER been charged for texting while there to both us and canadian numbers, nor have i ever been charged for texting a canadian number or recieving one from a canadian number while in the us. 

Now, if you DONT have a texting plan, then at that point the charge would be 25 cents for each sent and 20 cents for recieved. 

0 Likes