Unknown Data Charges
gfurco
Okay, I have the new Samsung Trance. I have all of the data usage blocked, so I can't access web, or apps downloads or anything else. Before I did this I downloaded Mobile IM and paid the $1.99 transfer fee. But now I'm still getting billed 1.99 for data eventhough I have everything blocked and it says that mobile IM is free to use other than the text rate. I have the unlimited texting to anything and pix/flix set up on my plan, but i'm still getting data charges. Anyone else have this problem?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unknown Data Charges
Alyssa
I read that while the IMs themselves are free with your plan, the IM app uses data when it updates, hence the data charge.
0 Likes
maxiloo
I have a related question, how do IM messages show up on your bill?  As a text message?  Can you see where they originated by looking at your account line info when the bill is posted online?
0 Likes
MychylAHV
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to agree with Alyssa on this one. I recently set up the Mobile IM on my phone as well (gave me something to do while on break at work), and while I have unlimited text messages, I haven't felt that I use enough data to really benefit from a data plan.... so whenever I randomly decide to use my IMs from work, I end up racking up data charges for the IMs. So Mobile IM is definitely acting (and charging) like data transfer, rather than texting. Makes sense in a way (since it's sending/receiving data from the internet for messaging), but that's how it works. (At least this is how it seems to be when I look at my billing... I haven't quite figured out how to identify exactly when and how the data charges are appearing, so unless my phone keeps accessing the mobile web by itself... XD)

Hope this helps!

Message Edited by MychylAHV on 06-13-2009 01:02 PM
0 Likes
bradcapo1

Thanks everyone for your support, you're the best!!

{please keep it relevant}

Message Edited by BradC on 07-20-2009 09:07 PM
0 Likes
Derizon
Enthusiast - Level 2

You wrote:

>>haven't quite figured out how to identify exactly when and how the data charges are appearing, so unless my phone keeps accessing the mobile web by itself..

This is exactly what Verizon is counting on to continue this horrid pricing model of charging by the number of bytes transferred, even for small monthly amounts.  

I implore you to CALL and COMPLAIN to Verizon each and every month you get these charges.  Take as much Verizon support person labor time as you can and *demand* a reversal of the charges.  Make it clear that you won't put up with this. 

In the 80's and early 90's, online service providers (CompuServe et. al.) tried to charge by the byte and users revolted and it stopped.   Make sure Verizon knows that you will not pay these bogus data charges.  Keep calling, keep asking them to block all data access, keep demanding reversal of charges.  Learn how to transfer pictures and rigntones to/from your phone using your computer instead of air time. 

Verizon has to provide its users with control over costs.  You have no obligation to pay data charges just because your phone is doing something that you can't (or Verizon can't) turn off.   I took me 13 successive calls over 13 months to reverse data charges before my demand to block all data access from my kid's phones finally "worked".  Because I'd made it clear from the first call that I wanted all access that would trigger data charges blocked, Verizon had to refund the bogus data charges. 

Be persistent ... and whatever you do, do not pay the charges!  Verizon has to hear our collective voices that we won't put up with this.

KathyDallas

You wrote:

>>haven't quite figured out how to identify exactly when and how the data charges are appearing, so unless my phone keeps accessing the mobile web by itself..

There''s a very good chance that it's from this practice Verizon has.  Many new phones come with icons that make it look like a game or application is already on the phone. But, if you click the icon, it connects to Get it Now.    Even if you disconnect as soon as you see that’s what it is doing, it doesn’t matter...you are still charged a minimum of $1.99 for “browsing”.

Very deceptive, and the reply I got from customer service was totally unsatisfactory.   To lure customers to click with an icon (that VZN put there as IF the app is already on your phone) and then charge for browsing” is entrapment, and a deceitful business practice.   My suggestion is that you file a complaint with your state's attorney general.  Apparently, at least one state has already come down on them, and apparently some TX customers are working on a complaint for the attorney general's office here. 

0 Likes