Unsolicited Text
DebG

I just received an unsolicited text from (deleted phone # as per) wanting to know if I wanted money transferred into my account. This appears to be a phishing scheme.  Isn't this illegal? Is there anything I should do other than ignoring the text? Double irritating since I pay for each text.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unsolicited Text
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

You can block up to 5 numbers for free through MyVerizon by clicking on "Block Calls & Messages" in the "I want to..." area on the main screen.  The block lasts for 90 days, and you can renew it.  You could also block text messaging on your account by dialing *611 and speaking to a CSR, if you don't use texting.

It does sound like a scam text, and if you're concerned it was directed specfiically at you, you could always report it to your local law enforcement.  Otherwise, just ignore them.

admin_moderator

DebG wrote:

I just received an unsolicited text from (deleted phone # as perVerizon Wireless Terms of Service) wanting to know if I wanted money transferred into my account. This appears to be a phishing scheme.  Isn't this illegal? Is there anything I should do other than ignoring the text? Double irritating since I pay for each text.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator (M)

If you received SPAM Text Messages, do the following:

1)Forward SPAM text message to 7726

2)You may use blocking options at MyVerizon - blocking calls / text for 90 day (Usage Controls)

If you are receiving Phishing Email:

1) Do not click on the links. If you already has,  then  reset all passwords on respective accounts and / or to notify your financial institution (if credit, debit or checking account information was entered).

2) Forward to phishing@verizonwireless.com

0 Likes
Gadfly53
Enthusiast - Level 2

Be sure to put your cell phone numbers and your land line numbers on the government do not call registry. If you get unsolicited text messages and phone calls, then you should report it to the federal government because they have enforcement responsibility for these issues.

The website to use to register your phone numbers is:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

After you register your number, wait 31 days and then you can file complaints for any subsequent violations here:

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

Hope this helps,

Gadfly53

0 Likes