Verizon Message+ requires phone call
KNELSO4

I am using Tracfone with Verizon as the carrier.  A message cannot be sent or received after powering on the phone unless a call is placed.  Immediately at the start of the call, notifications come through about received messages, and any sent / queued message are delievered.  This seems to be a problem with startup not registering the device on the Verizon network which would initiate the message checking. 

Please do not suggest reset, removing battery, removing SIM, or other ideas unless you have experience with this problem, and a plausible explanation for why your suggestion will work.  (I will NOT do a factory reset)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Message+ requires phone call
KNELSO4

Update -- I have found that the phone will also not receive a call until a call is placed.  This further suggests the device is not registered with the Verizon network after restart.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing this information, KNELSO4. Regrettably, we cannot guarantee that all features for Message+ will work properly on a device that wasn't provided by Verizon Wireless. We're more than willing to attempt to troubleshoot this issue with you, if you would like to do so.

MatthewI_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KNELSO4

This phone WAS provided by Verizon and after 2 years I upgraded to a GS9 and gave this one to my wife.  She has very little need for a smart phone, so we use the annual Tracfone plan with Verizon as the carrier.

To repeat the symptoms:  When powered on, messages that are waiting to be received do not come through.  Messages cannot be sent, and phone calls can't be received until an outgoing call is placed.  It seems that powering on the phone does not register it on the network.  Placing the call accomplishes that, and messages are immediately received, messages waiting to be sent go out, and calls can be received.  There should be a simple method for Verizon to determine whether the phone is active on the network after powering on.  If not, that would confirm the start-up problem.

Please let me know what to try as the next step.

Ken [removed]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KNELSO4, I appreciate you providing me with these important details to help resolve your issue with your device. What is the make and model of the device that is having this issue? Who is the carrier that you make your phone payment to for this particular device? The reason for my question is that you mentioned that you use an annual Tracfone with Verizon as the carrier. Do you currently have service with Verizon or Tracfone?

KevinM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KNELSO4

I have a Galaxy S7 purchased from Verizon.  The CARRIER is Verizon.  The payment goes to Tracfone which, like others, contacts with Verizon (and AT&T, and other networks) for the actual service.  Android updates are pushed by Verizon. It looks like the last was in May.  The Verizon web site shows one should have been made in Sept, but when using the phone to check for updates it says software is current.

Another test might offer a clue.  After powering on the phone I can use Google Find My Device.  As soon as it is located the message comes through.  This suggest the phone actually is active on the network, and this action cause Verizon to deliver the message.

What can be done to diagnose this problem?

Ken [removed]

Personal information removed as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KNELSO4, that is strange that you are having issues sending and receiving messages from your Galaxy S7. Seeing that you make your payments to Tracfone that means you have Tracfone service. You will need to contact Tracfone for further assistance 800-867-7183.

Justin_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

0 Likes