Verizon Messages / Message+ not receiving messages over Wi-Fi
vzFan22

Hi, I have an iPhone 6 and would love the ability to send/receive messages from anywhere via Wi-Fi (My basement, airplane, int'l travel, etc.)  However!  When I'm out of range of a VZ tower, I can send messages but can't receive. 

Example 1 (good).  Around town with cellular signal:  all messages in/out come thru.  Life is good.

Example 2 (bad).  In my basement where I don't get VZ signal but have Wi-Fi.  Messages sent via Message+ go out, but incoming messages don't arrive.

Example 3 (bad).  In airplane.  Airplane mode on.  Wi-fi on.  I can browse the web, send messages through Message+, but no new messages arrive.

Example 4 (bad).  Traveling in Europe.  Roaming and data roaming turned off, wi-fi on and connected.  Again, nothing comes in.

iMessages is OFF and has been since the day one.  I've also found that messages will show up on my desktop app and tablet if my primary device (iphone) is getting messages... but if the message doesn't get to the iPhone (scenarios 2-4 above) nothing comes through anywhere.

Final comment:  I noticed that some MMS's have through.  I don't do enough of them to spot a trend but maybe it has something to do with the routing of SMS vs. MMS.  Presently on Message+ 2.0.5

Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks,

-Frustrated

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Messages / Message+ not receiving messages over Wi-Fi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vzFan22, I understand the importance of getting all of your messages. I use Verizon Messages and have an iPhone as well. We certainly don’t want you feeling frustrated, help has arrived. I was surprised to read that you are having the trouble. What make and model iPhone do you have? What version is your Verizon Messages?

TionnaB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzFan22

Thanks for the quick response! 

iPhone 6s

iOS 9.1

Message+ 2.0.5

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for the additional information. I want to get this working for you. I checked your information versus mine and the only difference is you have the 6s and I have a 6. I would like to test something, please. While you are connected to WIFI can you send a message to yourself?  Do you find that when you are having the trouble not receiving the messages are they from the same person or multiple people?

TionnaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzFan22

Thanks - here's what I did:

Primary phone (iPhone):  airplane mode ON (no cellular), wifi ON.  I looked up the weather in Safari to confirm I was connected.

1) I sent a text message to myself using Message+.  "this is a test."   The app showed "sent", but no 2nd "received" text arrived.

2) ,Without changing anything I sent a 2nd message to my coworker (not on verizon).  "this is also a test."  He received the text.  He sent a reply "thanks".  I did NOT receive his response text.

3)  I waited 15 minutes.  Still no incoming texts.  I turned OFF airplane mode (resuming cellular).  Both texts came in.

So far the issue seems to affect messages from any/all people equally.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you once again. This is really baffling to me. I have mimicked the exact steps you just completed and I am still able to receive messages. Can you please remove the application, reboot the phone, and download the application again to retest?

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
vzFan22

Thanks for confirming it works on your phone... that's light at the end of the tunnel!

I did like you said.  Removed app, restarted phone, reinstalled app.  Same thing though.  In airplane mode with wifi ON, I can send messages (confirmed "sent") but I don't receive them... until I resume cellular function.

At this point I think it's fair to ask whether there may be some server-side issues related to my account???  Is there a number to call or way of contacting someone (maybe you?) to check/confirm all is good on the VZ side?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

vzFan22, you are very welcome this is what I am here for. Thank you for going through all of the steps that have been provided. I would like to check one other thing on the phone. Can you please go into Settings, Message +, can you check to see if Cellular Data is turned on please. If not turn it on and let’s retest.

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
vzFan22

Hi again, confirmed.  Settings --> Message+ Cellular Data is ON, and has always been on.  (also background app refresh, notifications, microphone, photos, contacts all ON)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate all that you have done with working with me to trying to get this resolved, vzFan22. I have sent you a private message regarding this if you can check it at your earliest convenience. 

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes