Verizon Messages upgrade and message history
billmiami

I am now being asked to update the Verizon Messages application I have installed on my PC:

"Disconnected:  This device has been disconnected from the Integrated Messaging service.  Do you wish to erase all messages from the device and reconnect?"

I absolutely do not want to erase any messages until I can back them up somewhere.  I've done this before and lost all of my message history.  Is there a way that I can back up my text message history before I move forward?  I don't know why there isn't a tool for this.

Thanks,

Bill E.
Hollywood, FL

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Messages upgrade and message history
Gildersleeve

Same problem here, head spinning in circles

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

billmiami,

Making sure you have your messages safe and secure is a big deal. We don't want you to lose anything that you don't have to. Are those messages also on any other devices? Are you able to possibly back them up there and make sure they are secure on those other devices? -Andrew

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, are you able to access your messages from your cellular device as well?*Estevan

0 Likes
billmiami

Andrew,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, some of my messages are available in my mobile device.  However, I don't see how this will help me if I click the "Erase and Reconnect" button and my entire Verizon Messages history is wiped clean.  In addition, I don't know if after the "Erase" my custom groups will still exist.

Perhaps you can explain exactly what is meant by "Erase and Reconnect".  What will be erased, and why does anything need to be erased in the first place?

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is required for the update. The device may need to clear the application data to update properly. Messages can be cleared, and should absolutely be backed up, before this process. Do you use our Verizon Cloud service? *Robert

0 Likes
billmiami

Robert,

I do not use the cloud service.  Is this the only way to back up my message history?  Please explain how I would back up my message history.

By the way, where is my message history?  Does it exist on my PC anywhere?  I looked at the location where the Messages application is installed but could not find any local files that appeared to have the history.

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

billmiami, you will also have the option to save your messages to an SD Card with Verizon Messages+. What is the Make/Model of your mobile device? Please review the troubleshooting section here http://vz.to/2hzTwu2.  -Sylvia

0 Likes
billmiami

Sylvia,

My Verizon Messages application no longer functions.  As soon as I open it,  it gives me the option to either "Erase and Reconnect" or "Cancel", which closes the application entirely.   Therefore, even if I did have an option to back up messages, it is no longer accessible.

My mobile device is a simple Alcatel flip phone.

Bill

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update, Bill. It sounds like we may need to factory reset the phone to correct any issues with the Messages app. Please confirm the exact model phone you have. Thank you.

- Alan

0 Likes