Verizon + showing photos in separate group thread
wendyhd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a new phone and all  photos received from text messages show in separate threads and show as "group MMS" even if its just between me and 1 other. It shows like this with all old messages and with all new messages. The text message is in one thread and any photos sent through come through on a separate thread. How do I fix this?

New phone is Samsung Galaxy S20.

Re: Verizon + showing photos in separate group thread
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new phone, we want to make sure your new phone is working perfectly for you. Have you tried restarting the phone? What text message app are you using? 

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
Herm1121
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes I have restarted the phone several times. This happens with any/ all messages with photos. I am using Verizon messaging app, the same as I used on my galaxy S8 before upgrading to my galaxy S20 plus. Can't get them to combine in the same thread...very frustrating!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this information, Herm1121. Are these messages from other Android devices or are they from iPhones? Does this also happen with group messages? 

0 Likes
Herm1121
Enthusiast - Level 1

It happens anytime a photo is sent. It makes the message into a group message with both myself and the other person. Also, if it is photo I receive and I reply to that thread, I also get the reply to myself. For example, my daughter sent me a text, then sent a photo. The text shows in our regular thread. The photo started a separate new "group thread" with just the photo. When I tried replying to the thread with the photo, the reply went to her and also came to me. No clue why... very frustrating. The same thing happens withany photos that are sent, whether from an Android or an iphone.. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you, Herm1121. Does this happen with every group picture message you send, or only messages sent on certain threads? If it only happens with with groups that have a certain person in them, it may be the settings on their device, not yours. If other folks' groups are working, but yours are the only ones where the thread splits, then it would indeed be the settings on your device. 

0 Likes
Herm1121
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is NOT a group message until a photo is sent. There is a normal conversation thread between myself and ONE other person. As soon as either of us sends a photo, it changes into a separate group thread with both of us and ONLY the photos in it. This has happened with other verizon samsung phones and also with iPhone. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Herm1121, do you have the latest version of the app installed on your device? Have you attempted to clear the cache on your app?

-Joshua

0 Likes
Katseye
  • Hi, was there a resolution to this? The same thing started happening with me. No changes to my service and/or device but all of a sudden, a week ago, the pictures someone would send me started coming across in a different thread as a group message with just me and that person.
0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes