Vtext Clarification
BOM2551819

I tried looking quickly for my answer, but I could not find it, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Looking at Verizon's website, it is not clear about vtext.com. So if I send text messages through the website, I am not charged with sending a message even when I am signed in? I do know that the recipient is charged though. Also, if they reply, does it count as another text message, even if I have the settings to just have replies go to the website, not website and handheld?

If it does not charge as a text message against my plan, I am very interested in using this convienient service, since I just about always have my laptop with internet access.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Vtext Clarification
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears it does work as you stated - you can have the replies sent to the web only, or both web and handset.  Messages sent and received from the recipient's handset count as text messages; messages sent to and from the website, if set to web only, are not counted on your end.  The interface was confusing to me though.

Much simpler would be to use AIM or Yahoo Instant Messenger on your end, and your friend use Mobile IM on their end.  It all counts as text messaging for them, and you are simply on your internet connection.  Just a suggestion....

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

BOM2551819 wrote:

I tried looking quickly for my answer, but I could not find it, so sorry if this is a repeat.

Looking at Verizon's website, it is not clear about vtext.com. So if I send text messages through the website, I am not charged with sending a message even when I am signed in? I do know that the recipient is charged though. Also, if they reply, does it count as another text message, even if I have the settings to just have replies go to the website, not website and handheld?

If it does not charge as a text message against my plan, I am very interested in using this convienient service, since I just about always have my laptop with internet access.

When sending through the web site, only the person receiving will be charged. You won't be charged for sending any messages. As far as I know the person won't be able to reply back to you on the site. The texts cannot be read on the web site.  If they were to reply back to you and you had texting enabled on your phone, then yes you would be charged even if you don't open the message.

0 Likes
BOM2551819

Well if replies don't go back to the web, then why does Verizon offer this option to have replies go back to web or My handset and web?

vtext.com Screenshot

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears it does work as you stated - you can have the replies sent to the web only, or both web and handset.  Messages sent and received from the recipient's handset count as text messages; messages sent to and from the website, if set to web only, are not counted on your end.  The interface was confusing to me though.

Much simpler would be to use AIM or Yahoo Instant Messenger on your end, and your friend use Mobile IM on their end.  It all counts as text messaging for them, and you are simply on your internet connection.  Just a suggestion....

0 Likes
shortcake34

I am not getting the replies on the web or handset. just sending not getting replies.. any help?

0 Likes