Vtext messages: Severe Delay
Lara608
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use email to text using @VTEXT.com.  I use it to send daily weather forecasts to forest firefighters.  As of late, I send the email to text in the morning and my firefighters are getting the text hours later, in the evening.  It does go through Gmail but Gmail says it's been sent.  Any reason why it's become so difficult?

91 Replies
ackerman48

I have the same issue - sending to 2 different mobile phones (Business and personal) from my Outlook mailbox, very slow to send - 20+ minutes 

0 Likes
rdclay
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had this same issue with Gmail throttling during all of August 2022.  It makes vtext.com essentially useless.  

0 Likes
noamparn
Enthusiast - Level 3

If only Verizon's support people could actually figure out how to open a ticket, and escalate it to their server team. I'll bet one of the load-balanced mail handler servers is misbehaving, and it takes that long for the message to time out, and get routed to different server. But unless their server team actually *get notified of a problem*, they likely aren't going to even look at the issue. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you are able to use the service as inteded. What exactly are you experiencing and when did it begin?

-Chris

0 Likes
watki02
Enthusiast - Level 1

Looks like it is my turn to say the same things I am seeing all over this thread.

I rely on both (either!) vzwpix.com and vtext.com for network monitoring at work, and both have been failing me hard for the past week.  Delays range from 15 minutes to ~11 hours. 

The only observation I can make is that the network monitoring service is a shared email account on our email service (O365-based) that redirects to the gateway (as well as saving a copy locally). The local copy of the email is near instantaneous (so no problem with the email delivery service), but the message going through Verizon is severely delayed.

To test this, I sent an email directly to @VTEXT.com and @vzwpix.com (separately and directly from my email address) nearly simultaneously. I received the @VTEXT.com one about 15 minutes later, and I still have not received the @vzwpix.com one (well over an hour ago).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, watki02. The service is not intended to be used for large volumes of commercial messages or emergency messages. Due to the inherent limitations of Internet email, Verizon provides no assurance regarding the timeliness or receipt of messages sent using this service. I do hope this helps. 

-Natasha

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@noamparn wrote:

If only Verizon's support people could actually figure out how to open a ticket, and escalate it to their server team. I'll bet one of the load-balanced mail handler servers is misbehaving, and it takes that long for the message to time out, and get routed to different server. But unless their server team actually *get notified of a problem*, they likely aren't going to even look at the issue. 

I've/We've sent numerous emails to the Verizon Messaging Team (verizonmessages at verizonwireless dot com) but that hasn't helped with the issue 

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is very strange to hear, ackerman48! Just to confirm, are you able to send/receive text messages normally on your device? This only happens when using VText?

-Marshall

0 Likes
chrissutton
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Verizon, please really look into this new problem.   As an American Red Cross volunteer I depend on timely delivery of text messages sent to me at ...@vtext.com, from a legitimate gmail.com account.  Those messages normally went through quickly, until about 5 days ago.  Now they are delayed 12 hours or more.   Here is one to troubleshoot: 

Received: from [192.168.1.202] ([2601:601:a300:4dd0:404c:c1b8:6036:3f6f])
by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id d1-20020a623601000000b00534abad34easm953054pfa.51.2022.08.13.18.41.25
for <[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]>
(version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 bits=256/256);
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Scanner monitor alert

--------------------

Message was sent to @VTEXT.com one hour ago.  I still have not received the text message.   

Please investigate and fix so I don't need to change providers.  

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you having issues like this and are sending you a PM to assist you further.

-Sean

0 Likes
Cowprincejulez
Enthusiast - Level 1

@chrissutton wrote:

Hey Verizon, please really look into this new problem.   As an American Red Cross volunteer I depend on timely delivery of text messages sent to me at ...@vtext.com, from a legitimate gmail.com account.  Those messages normally went through quickly, until about 5 days ago.  Now they are delayed 12 hours or more.   Here is one to troubleshoot: 

Received: from [192.168.1.202] ([2601:601:a300:4dd0:404c:c1b8:6036:3f6f])
by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id d1-20020a623601000000b00534abad34easm953054pfa.51.2022.08.13.18.41.25
for <[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]>
(version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 bits=256/256);
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:41:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Scanner monitor alert

--------------------

Message was sent to @VTEXT.com one hour ago.  I still have not received the text message.   

Please investigate and fix so I don't need to change providers.  

I'm seeing the same behavior. Started a couple days ago.
They aren't from gmail addresses, but they do use Google apps. So for all intents and purposes, it's the same SMTP servers.

I'm not just seeing delays, but also out of order messages. These notification based emails also hit my wife's phone and we see the messages at completely different times. One of these messages was an MMS that had a timestamp on the associated image of 8-13-2022 @ 7:37pm. The delivery time of this message was 8-15-2022 @ 12:52pm.

I have similar text only based messages also.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh, no! Dealing with messaging issues can be overwhelming especially when it affects your work. We are here to help. We send you a Private Note for further support. ~Gilbert

dm120
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a suggestion, try sending to @vzwpix.com instead of @VTEXT.com 

I'm not sending pictures from email, but the vzwpix.com server seems to be a little more responsive.  I did have one message take 15 minutes to get thru, but I was seeing delays up to 14 hours using the vtext.com address.

Even delays of 15 minutes is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!  My AT&T wireless friends have messages delivered within seconds on their phones.

The problem (IMHO) is on Verizon's front end server.  It's likely overloaded and messages get queued up before being sent to the cellular side.  I've sent the same message to multiple Verizon phones in different geographic areas.  The messages were delayed the same amount.  This implies the problem is NOT at the destination cellular tower.  The problem must be at the input side where the message comes in from the web server and gets delivered to the verizon system.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning. I must say 14 hours is quite a big delay. This does not sound right at all. I am sure we can help. How is your  regular text messages? Have you tried on WiFi or off of WiFi? Is anyone else having this issue? 

-Amber

jav6
Champion - Level 3

@Lara608 wrote:

I use email to text using @VTEXT.com.  I use it to send daily weather forecasts to forest firefighters.  As of late, I send the email to text in the morning and my firefighters are getting the text hours later, in the evening.  It does go through Gmail but Gmail says it's been sent.  Any reason why it's become so difficult?

There are numerous other threads regarding email-to-text from Google Mail to Verizon Wireless numbers.  The VZW gateways/servers seem to throttle the traffic when they see excessive traffic from Gmail.  Apparently the 'excessive' traffic does not have to be coming from a specific source as users have confirmed they are not sending many emails (to text).  Other email services (Yahoo, Comcast, etc) do NOT have this issue of being throttled.  There has not been any further VZW tech support explanation/resolution on this issue.

rrn1894

I send messages with an outlook account, and I seem to have the same problem.

0 Likes
Jmcrn

Same

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how important it is for your services to work as they should. To clarify, are you having hte same issue with your emails being delayed?

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

We understand how important it is for your services to work as they should. To clarify, are you having hte same issue with your emails being delayed?

*Ellisandra

Ellisandra, obviously you don't and don't understand the issue being reported.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are here to help 24/7 over this platform, and we will be sending you a Private Note shortly. *Bryan

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're here to help with any concerns you may have, rrn1894. Please tell us more about what's going on with your vtext. When did this issue start?  -Danielle

0 Likes