Vtext messages: Severe Delay
Lara608
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use email to text using @VTEXT.com.  I use it to send daily weather forecasts to forest firefighters.  As of late, I send the email to text in the morning and my firefighters are getting the text hours later, in the evening.  It does go through Gmail but Gmail says it's been sent.  Any reason why it's become so difficult?

90 Replies

Just found this thread so I thought I would add my experience. It has been getting worse lately, messages delayed by 15 minutes up to 11 hours with the order also incorrect. I sent a test message to vzwpix address about 6 minutes ago and it hasn't been received. I don't have much hope that it will be fixed based on the five pages of 'we will get it fixed' comments. One would assume there is a mountain of examples on the back end waiting for analysis.

0 Likes
dm120
Enthusiast - Level 2

I experienced the same issue this morning as well.  Our linux email system sent messages to 3 Verizon users at 4:55 AM.  I don't consider 3 to be an overwhelmingly large number where Verizon would overload.   The text was finally received at 6:27, so 1 hour and 32 minutes later.

I've complained about this many times before and Verizon is doing nothing to resolve it.  Text messages to my ATT users occur almost immediately after the email goes out.  It's disappointing that Verizon isn't taking this seriously.

0 Likes
kentk94
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having the same problems with delayed text messages.  It's been ongoing for a few months, and at first I've been placing the blame on the new spam filter that was installed at work, however after talking with co-workers on TMobile, they are getting alerts in a timely manner.  I need these to work for my job, I'm on call and get critical infrastructure alerts in the middle of the night.  Last night was a prime example.  35 alerts went out between midnight and 3am, I received 2 of these texts.  Then for whatever reason, at 8am, the flood gates were opened and I started receiving all of the delayed text messages.  This needs to be fixed or I'm going to have to switch providers.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, kentk94. As a consumer, I sincerely understand the importance of getting notifications/alerts in a timely manner. I understand that you experience delays with messages sent to phonenumber@vtext.com and we want to explore options to resolve this issue. Can those alerts be sent to phonenumber@vzwpix.com instead? If this can be done, please give it a try and keep us posted.

-Antonio

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Antonio" from Verizon,

Verizon's already been posted.

Review my post "GMAIL TO VTEXT PROBLEM CONTINUES UNATTENDED, UNSOLVED" which shows test messages sent from both vtext and vzwpix one minute separate from each other took 25 and 26 hours to yield a Delivery Incomplete reply. 

Please do the reading before you ask questions in class.

0 Likes
dm120
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has this issue ever been escalated within Verizon beyond level 1 support?  I believe your server team or engineering group should be able to figure this problem out.

The delay is not unique to Gmail.  We send email using Outlook.  Incoming messages at your email server should be timestamped.  You should be able to see the timestamp of the incoming message and compare it with the timestamp of when the SMS message goes out.  There's likely a timestamp when the email server hands off the message to the SMS delivery system as well.  This should show you if the delay is on the email server side or the SMS/cell side.

My guess is that your email server is overloaded or the load balancer isn't working correctly.  It shouldn't take hours to send a message thru this system.  By comparing incoming and outgoing timestamps, you should be able to quickly determine if the problem is on the user side (Gmail, Outlook, etc.) or within your domain.  I'm surprised and disappointed this problem has lasted so long.

jav6
Champion - Level 3

@kentk94  What email service is being used at work?  Are there options to use alternative email services?  I see the issue with Google mail, but not Outlook via Comcast, nor Yahoo.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here!

Started the day after Verizon helped themselves to $5 more per month on my bill.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help in any way that we can, we know you depend on your service to keep you connected. Please share details, we are anxious to help.

-Rosie

NH40
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon you take so much money and you still not able to fix this issue. I am seriously looking to switch now. I have been a long time customer and I now realize what its lacking when I try to use some functionality of it. This delay issue is huge negative. Please provide some value to your customers. I am very disappointed

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello NH40. I'm sorry to read that you are having a hard time with us, but we are here to help you in all your concerns! I will send you a PM, so we can work on this together.

>Pia

0 Likes
KilledByScott
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same issue and I am seeing texts that I have sent myself via the @VTEXT.com method and I am receiving these texts the next day.  Here is some error info I get which may help...

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to ##@vtext.com. Gmail will retry for 45 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently
The response from the remote server was:
421 4.1.0 <[email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]> server temporarily unavailable AUP#MXRT

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KilledByScott,

Making sure you can fully enjoy all of our services is essential. I appreciate you letting us know. How long have you been having this issue? To confirm then, it does eventually go through, is that correct?

-Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello "Andrew" from Verizon,

If you want to know how long the Gmail to Vtext issue has been a problem, why don't you have a look at many of the latest posts in Services/Verizon Messages?  Each post has a date on it.

And, is "it does eventually go through" what Verizon customers are paying for?  i pay my bill in full every month... $5 more per month recently.  What if my payments "eventually go through"?  Is Verizon willing to take my money at the speed which Gmails arrive via Vtext?

dm120
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've been experiencing the same problem for months now.  It's to the point where my entire team at work is looking to drop Verizon and go to another provider.

My group at work does customer support.  When a problem comes in, the alert is sent to our cellphones via Verizon SMS message.  We've seen several hour delays before the message shows up on our phone!  This is unacceptable.  My employees with AT&T phones get the message within seconds.  What is Verizon doing to resolve this delay?

skypop38
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue at work.  We receive emails and text alerts from our network monitoring system.  Where we once received SMS alerts before the emails came in, I have one Verizon user that never receives SMS messages, and mine are coming in hours later, which is useless for system and networking alerts.  Another user has AT&T service and receives notifications within seconds of the alerts.  SMS alerts, using Verizon, has become useless for us!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, skypop38. We always want to ensure that your alerts are received promptly without any delay. We are here to help. When did you first notice this delay? Are you receiving delays from other sources besides your work's system? 

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This issue has gone on for far too long and we would never want to lose you.  Let's turn this around.  A private message is being sent to assist you further.

-Sean

0 Likes
MetrologyKeith
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are currently having the same issue with our temperature monitoring software sending email alerts. We are supposed to receive the texts immediately so that we can fix any out of specification issues before it affects product. But there's times when I've been getting vtext alerts through outlook a day or two late.

0 Likes
ackerman48

0 Likes
ackerman48

I have the same issue - sending to 2 different mobile phones (Business and personal) from my Outlook mailbox, very slow to send - 20+ minutes 

0 Likes