Where exactly is local storage for message+
AZviaNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cannot find the location where the older messages are stored on the tablet (or the phone, for that matter). Location meaning which directory within local storage. What is the default extension? When I perform a search with what I think it may be, it comes up zero.

I have a wifi only tablet that I have downloaded the Message+ app from the playstore. It is linked to my Verizon telephone number and when a text message come in, I receive it on both devices (Samsung GalaxyS9+ and Samsung galaxy tab A). 

My issue is that recently I had to reinstall the app on the tablet and now all of my older messages are gone from the tablet. Since it is a wifi only device, how can I copy the older messages from my phone to the tablet? Where does the app look for them?

0 Likes
Re: Where exactly is local storage for message+
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AZviaNY, thank you for reaching out to us. Making sure you are aware of your options to restore your text messages is important. Allow us the opportunity to further investigate the details. Whats methods do you take to back up your device? Are the text messages still available on your mobile device? 

0 Likes
AZviaNY
Enthusiast - Level 2

The messages in question are on my mobile (phone with Verizon plan). When I recently changed phones, they (all messages) came from one phone to the newer phone. The tablet (which is wifi only) had all of the same messages, however I ran into a problem with the tablet and had to reinstall the message+ app. Now I only have 90 days worth of messages. I tried using Verizon transfer content app, but the tablet side does not offer an option to restore text messages. I have also tried the SMS Backup and restore app, with errors because the tablet does not have an option under default apps for text/sms (probably because it is a wifi only device). I can copy the older messages from my phone to an SD card - I just want to know where the app looks for the files (where, in the local internal storage and what extension does it use?). 

labs4ever

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To clarify, what is the make and model of your device? 

0 Likes
AZviaNY
Enthusiast - Level 2
Customer Support

To clarify, what is the make and model of your device?

You've got to be kidding me! I named both devices, manufacturer and make in the first message asking for help.

I've pretty much figured out it is near impossible to do.  Seems the messages are stored in a sqlite database and only a rooted device can view it.  It's important for me because the tablet is 10 inches vs the tiny screen of the phone, and as a senior,  using a larger screen is better for viewing...however since it is a wifi ONLY device, and I'm not willing to mess with root- I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Labs4ever, 

We know that retrieving you stored information is important. Click here for instructions to restore your information from messages+ https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-209183/. Does this help? 

PamelaF_vzw

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AZviaNY, I apologize for any frustration and issues you're having with trying to find the location on your Samsung Galaxy and for us asking the make and model of your devices. I did look further to see you did mention this information and we were asking again for clarity. I realize how important to get your messages on your tablet and that it is a Wi-Fi-connected device.  Is Verizon Messages Plus the default messaging app on your tablet? To confirm, did you back up any of the messages on your tablet apart from your mobile phone? I ask this because if Verizon Messages Plus is the default message app, it would normally take precedence and are synced over on your mobile phone and how the messages are saved and stored. Also, backing up your tablet separately and apart from your phone would avoid confusion on where the data is saved even though that are related as you described. Here's a link for more details https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-messages-faqs/ and please refer to the section "Syncing Messages Across Devices" for more details. I trust this helps and let us know if you need any further assistance and if you backed up your messages to different resources to recover the lost messages. 

Sincerely,

Edwin_W at VZW Support

0 Likes