Why am I charged for Iphone group messages on my Droid?
edpowell67

Just receive my bill and was shocked to find over $100 in charges for text messages. I have a group of friends who all have I phones and they started a group message that I was added to as well. It seem that to Verizon these all show up as picture or video messages when sent to an Android OS phone. These type text messages were not part of my 1000 text allowance. Not very happy right now. When I called they offered only to block these type messages. Now I cannot receive group text messages from anyone. This is totally unacceptable. Shopping elsewhere.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why am I charged for Iphone group messages on my Droid?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

edpowell67,

I understand how shocking that bill was, I've been there myself. We definitely want to clarify this to prevent it going forward. Messages from iPhone to iPhone when iMessages are powered on are not deducted from the messaging allowance you may have as they run through other servers. However, since not all in that group have iPhones, the one Android phone causes all messages to send as MMS(multimedia messages); since not all phones are compatible with iMessages. MMS are deducted from allowance  http://vz.to/1kyWR3L

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why am I charged for Iphone group messages on my Droid?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

edpowell67,

I understand how shocking that bill was, I've been there myself. We definitely want to clarify this to prevent it going forward. Messages from iPhone to iPhone when iMessages are powered on are not deducted from the messaging allowance you may have as they run through other servers. However, since not all in that group have iPhones, the one Android phone causes all messages to send as MMS(multimedia messages); since not all phones are compatible with iMessages. MMS are deducted from allowance  http://vz.to/1kyWR3L

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes