Re: Why am i getting the message 'no longer a participant'??
TAB1972
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was finally able to resolve this problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Message+. I was worried it would delete my entire messaging history, but it didn't. It works fine now.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to connect through text message is crucial, MINNIEGO05. Let's troubleshoot this, so you can send messages again. As one of our community members reported that uninstalling and reinstalling the Messages + application helped, let's give that a try. Here are links with steps to complete this: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216741/

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-43740/

Lynn_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JAYNEW20
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a suggestion to VZW tech support here, it would be nice to have you interact with the developers and find out if they found and fixed the bug that caused this for so many people -- before we all uninstall and reinstall the app.

Just a suggestion.

I know that's not easy for you to do but if it's at all possible it would be nice to have that step under our belts.

MINNIEGO05
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using default message app on phone. Not interested in using an app that makes me uninstall and reinstall to fix

JAYNEW20
Enthusiast - Level 2

All apps have periodic updates released, which on most phones install invisibly in the background. It's not that uncommon for a release to occasionally have a bug in it. It's happened with Microsoft Windows more than a few times over the years. The solution is that they find out about it, fix it, and release a new release right away with the bug having been fixed -- and with something as big as Windows online forums are able to discuss the fact that the new version has been released with the fix and that users should install the fixed update.

Here, we don't have that. We have a smaller user base by far as compared to Windows. So, we have nice tech support people on this little forum saying the same nice things about "Your communication capabilities are important so... what kind of phone do you have...?" and then finally realizing it's a widespread issue so the advice, which is reasonable, is to notice others reported an uninstall and reinstall seemed to work and to try that.

But it fails to give us any clue about whether we're just installing the same version that has the bug and are likely to have the same problem randomly cropping up -- or whether they've found and fixed the bug and it's time to uninstall and reinstall with peace of mind.

Given the size of VZW and the size of the user base using Message+, and the number of people who have reported this issue in the past week alone on this forum alone, one would think this would be much more of a priority for them.

I spoke a couple days ago with a tech support supervisor at Verizon. He had no suggestions, and said he's not able to communicate with the developer team. He said he would, however, report it. He agreed that with that many users reporting it on the forum, it must be pretty widespread (since most are not posting online). He said he'd try to get back to me if and when they get back to him -- and that I should expect that to take "weeks!"

Verizon tech support is usually pretty darned good, but so far the handling of this one is a bit disappointing.

DerbyGirl925
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes! Thank you, this is what works. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Vzn Messages+ and was able to text my husband once again. I found one other contact that I couldn't text either. Once uninstalled and reinstalled it wiped the text convo I previously had going with my husband, but I was able to start a new one.

DerbyGirl925
Enthusiast - Level 2

Uninstalling the Message+ app and reinstalling it finally fixed the problem. It did delete my prior convo with my husband, but another user said she didn't lose her convo. <--- I only add that part as precautionary info.

hawaii52

My phone also started having this issue last week.  Nothing changed during that time, unless the VZ Messages app was updated int the background.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the app also worked for me.

Not that it matters, but I have a Blackberry Priv.  Given that it's an extremely rare phone, this just about confirms it's a widespread app issue.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I completely understand and realize that it isn't convenient to have to uninstall and reinstall an app. On the flip side, if you are more comfortable waiting for an update with a fix, it isn't yet known when that will be, but the only other solution appears to be the uninstall/reinstall method for the time being.

If you are using a different messaging app on your phone aside from Message+ and the other person is using Message+ and you already tried to a) clear your previous conversation history, then b) attempt to start a new conversation with no success, believe it or not, uninstalling and re-installing only takes 5 short minutes or less. The choice is yours as always. 

Tina_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JAYNEW20
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went ahead and did the uninstall and reinstall of Message+ and it did resolve the problem. It was only five minutes for that, and another five minutes to mark about a dozen previously read messages as read (for some reason they were showing as unread upon reinstall) and reset my font size, but that was easy enough.

It's still buggy in that going to do a reply to a message doesn't put the focus in the text field like it always did and surely should do. That needs to be reported until it's fixed (and I still wonder if it may possibly be why people are having this issue of threads becoming "You are no longer a participant," but that's just a guess).

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes