Why do my contacts phone type show up as symbols in Verizon Messages
GRNTOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I downloaded Verizon Messages to my Moto G4.  It successfully downloaded my text messages, however, if the text message is from one of my contacts, the phone type (i.e. Mobile, Home, Main) appears as symbols  under the contact's name.  The symbols are different depending on the phone type.  If the text message is from a number not in my contacts, the phone type appears as Mobile.  I have experimented with creating new contacts and changing the phone type for a contact, but symbols still appear.  The symbols are different depending on the phone type selected.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why do my contacts phone type show up as symbols in Verizon Messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's certainly important to know, GRNTOM, as the symbols can be confusing. Do you know what exact symbols they are? Has it always appeared this way with Verizon Messages?

VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GRNTOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

here is a picture of what the symbols are.  This is one of my contacts with a phone type of Mobile. It appeared fine on my previous phone.  It only started looking this way once I upgraded to a Moto 4G Plus phone and downloaded Verizon Messages.  If I look at my messages using the Verizon Messages PC app, it correctly shows Mobile.  It is only on this phone.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Verizon Messages, but the problem still exists.

verizonmessages.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the screenshots GRINTOM. Let's continue to work on this issue and get it fixed. Are you using any 3rd party text, contact, or display applications? 3rd party apps can cause functionality issues if their not compatible with your phone or need to be updated. Do you have the most updated software on your device http://vz.to/2fg4DXF ?

KinquanaH_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
GRNTOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

No 3rd party text, contact, or display applications.

Standard android "Contacts" app version 1.4.17.

Verizon Message+ version 6.4.39

No special display applications

Comes with default Android Messages 2.2.076

Latest system updates.

Model Moto G4 Plus (XT1644)

Android version 7.0, RAM 4 GB, ROM 64 GB, Display 1920x1080

I'm at a loss as to what could be happening. It appears to only happen when the information is pulled from contacts. If I show a message from a number not in my contacts, it appears correct as Mobile.  The moment I add the number to contacts, it switches to symbols.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You've been great through this process FRNTOM. The last step would be a factory reset to correct the issue. What specific model phone do you have?

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
GRNTOM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Moto G4 Plus (XT1644). Has anyone tried Message+ on an Android 7 device with its version of Contacts? I can't go through a factory reset right now.

0 Likes