Will blocking someone's phone number block iMessages as well as calls/ texts?
Johnsonnic

I recently blocked someone's phone number on my account (we both have iPhones) and am wondering....

a. will this person still be able to send me an iMessage?

b. what do they see on their end when they send a text message?

If you know from experience and can share that would be great! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will blocking someone's phone number block iMessages as well as calls/ texts?
Tidbits
Legend

iMessages will not be blocked.  That's on Apple side of things, and carriers have no control over it.

0 Likes
Re: Will blocking someone's phone number block iMessages as well as calls/ texts?
Johnsonnic

So if they're sending a text message it will still go through on iMessage?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yes, if they are sending it through their itunes account via iMessage, and not an actual text message form a phone number.

0 Likes
Johnsonnic

Thanks, I don't think the person will think to go thru iTunes and will only try texting. Do you know if they'll get a message saying their text has been blocked?

0 Likes
hippiechic1974
Enthusiast - Level 2

They will not get a message saying their number is blocked if it's a straight SMS text. They may get a "delivery failure" notice on the message. For calls, they will receive a recording telling them that your number is not receiving calls.

As far as iMessages, if you delete the person from your contacts, you can go into your Settings--> Notifications--> Messages... at the bottom of this screen you will see Show iMessage Alerts From:... change your option from Everyone to My Contacts Only. This doesn't technically "block" anything, but it does prevent the message from reaching you. You can, however, still iMessage them.

Otherwise, you can turn iMessaging off in your settings, under the messages tab. Then ALL messages from everyone come through as text messages and the block service Verizon offers will take care of the numbers you enter.