Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device
shahshr

(Apologies for bad title, I want somebody else to find it while doing any searches in future so kept the wording as I received it)

About 40 mins ago I got an SMS stating this :

Your verizon messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device:

Firefox on Windows 8.1 at 4:42 PM EDT on 5/2/17 using IP : [Removed]

Within 5 mins of that, I got google verification code on my SMS and then two SMSes stating GV (google voice) verification codes.

Then I got email on Gmail stating my current mobile number which was being used to forward my GV number was unlinked !

I am not aware about above IP. I had not logged on to Firefox on Win 8.1. I had not accessed Message+ app on my phone. I had not installed that app anywhere else too. I, infact, didnt even remember my "my verizon" password.

First I unlinked all my Google apps & signed out from other web sessions. I changed my google password. I then added back my GV forward number. Later I reset my "my verizon" account which showed somebody had logged on to it about 10 mins ago (4:48p).

What could have happened ? What else can I do ? I dont need Messages+ app anymore ( I installed it as I was travelling out of country in Feb and wanted access to my SMS and I didnt have international plan there ).

Thanks

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like someone tried to access your account, and messages.  The verification codes were texted to your device, as they would have been had you requested access.

By quickly unlinking your devices, and changing your passwords (you mentioned Google, did you also change your My Verizon password?) whoever was doing this will no longer be able to access your stuff.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like someone tried to access your account, and messages.  The verification codes were texted to your device, as they would have been had you requested access.

By quickly unlinking your devices, and changing your passwords (you mentioned Google, did you also change your My Verizon password?) whoever was doing this will no longer be able to access your stuff.

0 Likes
shahshr

Thanks !. Yes I did change my My Verizon password. Somebody had changed my challenge question & answer too, I just reset it back. Looks like somebody was trying to get to my SMS (on My Verizion & on Google Voice) so that they can monitor it to login to my google / other 2 factor auth based accounts.

Why does My Verizon doesnt allow me to login with my password but instead asks answer to a security question ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello shahshr,

We take your account security very seriously. When you log into your Verizon Wireless account, you will need to verify your access. This is a security improvement to help protect against unauthorized access to your account. We would recommend changing your online password, secret question and account pin to ensure your security.

To see how to change your online password, click here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-14831/

To see how to change your secret question, click here and choose "How do I change my Secret Question in My Verizon?" https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/my-verizon-faqs/

To see how to change your account pin, click here and choose "How can I create or change an account PIN online?" https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/account-pin-faqs/

ChristopherM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes