Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device / Google Voice
scott617nj

Hey everyone,

I received the below automated text last night:

VZW Free Msg: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device:

Firefox on Windows 8.1 at 10:20 PM EDT on 09/18/17 using IP Address: XXXXXXXXXX

Don't recognize this activity? Please login to My Verizon and change your password.

This was followed by several texts from random numbers stating:

"Your Google verification code is 878312"

"849212 is your Google Voice verification code."

"Your Google verification code is 565986"

"482501 is your Google Voice verification code."

I received those same 4 texts from the numbers "2200" and 614-695-4787".

I tried logging in online and my password was changed as well as my security question. I was quickly able to reset/change my password, thus successfully locking out whoever accessed my account. I confirmed with Verizon that my account was not changed in any way.

The only thing askew was this text in my messaging portal, which also appeared on my cell phone: https://i.imgur.com/ucRebiO.png

Overall, my question is: What the heck just happened? It seems as though someone used my cell # to setup a Google Voice account -- but why? Is there a way for me to undo anything they did? Am I vulnerable in any way?

I checked my Google accounts and there haven't been any new logins from devices I am unfamiliar with.

Thanks for any and all help!

Scott

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Your Verizon Messages account was recently accessed from a new browser or device / Google Voice
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That's a very strange issue scott617nj .I'm glad you reached out and changed your password. I hope they haven't gotten any of your personal information. I don't see a way to undo anything they have done. I would recommend monitoring your credit and making sure nothing changes there.

JoeL_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes