can I use messaging in Europe even if I have a pre-paid SIM card?
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm going to be in Spain in May and will buy a pre-paid SIM card with a local number.  As long as I have connection to the internet, via wifi or through the phone service there, will my friends and family be able to use my regular US number to text me?  Do I need to do anything to make this work before or after I get the pre-paid SIM card there?

I'd like this to be seamless for my friends and family to text me at the same number.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: can I use messaging in Europe even if I have a pre-paid SIM card?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I am personally wishing you a FABULOUS trip! That sounds exciting. If you are using a SIM from another country, you will not be getting text messages as you will have that temporary number from their local provider.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
I am personally wishing you a FABULOUS trip! That sounds exciting. If you are using a SIM from another country, you will not be getting text messages as you will have that temporary number from their local provider.
0 Likes
marklyn9063
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your answer made me wonder about my tablet I use in my kitchen which only has wifi, yet I have the verizon messaging app on it and I receive/send messages on that device... wouldn't this basically work the same?

I think I remember I had to 'register' or something to make that table send/receive texts.  Does that make sense?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
It makes sense, marklyn9063. If you are using a tablet overseas with WiFi, you will be able to access Verizon Messages without incurring roaming charges. However, in order to receive messages, you must have an active phone number.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes