change for group text AC FAMILY SHAREPLAN 500
mkupfer

Some friends and I communicate via an email list. We are thinking about switching from email to group texts. I'm trying to understand how these texts would be charged to my account. As far as I can tell, sending a text message to a group will be charged the same as sending a multimedia message to an individual. That is, the charge won't go up if I add more recipients. Am I reading that correctly?

0 Likes
Re: change for group text AC FAMILY SHAREPLAN 500
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you paying for the text message feature on your plan? 

If you still have the America's Choice share plan, you could review the current plans and see if they would be more economical for your usage? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mkupfer

@Ann154 wrote:

Are you paying for the text message feature on your plan? 

If you still have the America's Choice share plan, you could review the current plans and see if they would be more economical for your usage? 

I currently get charged per-text (20¢ simple text, 25¢ multimedia). But I've never done a group text. (I suppose I could just send one and see how it gets billed...)

It'll be hard to tell which is more economical until I better understand the AC plan. Though I should probably review the plans anyway, just to see what's out there.  Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Group messages are also considered multimedia messages."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/text-messaging-faqs/

If your plan supports it, you can add a text message bundle to your current plan. The America's Choice share plan is a very old plan. A customer should understand the services they are paying for especially if they have had it for over ten years. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mkupfer, staying connected with your friends and loved ones through an email list or through text is always beneficial. Making sure you are aware of your options to be able to switch your email communication to a group text while keeping the cost low is important. @Ann154 has provided some great insight when it comes to your current plan and what the cost will look like if you were to start a group text message. As group messages are also considered multimedia messages, when you send a group text on your current price plan you will be charged the multimedia message rate ($0.25) for each message sent in your group.

Nowadays sending text messages is a fundamental part of our everyday lives that allows us to conveniently communicate with our friends and loved ones at any time. Based off of the information you have shared already, you may benefit by moving your plan to one of our current price plans which will include Unlimited Talk & Text along with your selection of Data. Please review our current price plan options here https://vz.to/2tFMwiN. Does this information help? Have you considered to move to one of our available current price plans?

SylviaT_VZW

0 Likes