deactivate texting, sending and receiving
drstong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an old 6015 Nokia that serves me just fine; I don't text.

I've received "wrong number" texts and have to pay for them.

Since I never use the service, is there a way to turn it off? With Spam, I at least have a consistent number to block- so that isn't my issue. I want a phone. Just a phone.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: deactivate texting, sending and receiving
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can block all texts yourself via your on-line MyVerizon account, assuming you're the Account Owner and logged in as such.  Once logged in, look to the left under My Device and click the blue Change Features.  Choose the appropriate line if appropriate and click Next.  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the blue Block messaging, data & other services.  Put a check next to each of the three messaging options at the top of the page, then click Continue.  You'll get a pop-up screen to review your changes; if all looks ok, click the red OK (you may need to scroll down a bit to see it, use the slider next to the pop-up box).

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can block all texts either via your on-line MyVerizon account or by calling Customer Service.

Customer Service:

Dial *611 from a cell phone

(800) 922-0204

Monday - Sunday 6 am - 11 pm

0 Likes
drstong
Enthusiast - Level 2

I actually couldn't find a method to turn off texting, but this path got me through to a person who blocked all texting for me. Thanks!

drstong
Enthusiast - Level 2

-And on a sour note, after spending several minutes getting through and another several speaking with a very nice woman, I was told she was blocking all messages. Great, I thought... till a moment ago when my phone shook obnoxiously and I had a text message telling me that I could block specific numbers domains or websites. Yeah. Great. In a text message. So much for turning it off. Next step is complete deactivation.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You probably DO have texting blocked, but Verizon texts will still come through. 

0 Likes
drstong
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Verizon still getting through is irritating, but still understandable. I had my daughter send a text to check, and sure enough, I received it. And will be billed. Really. I just want a phone. Perfectly happy to pay for it.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can block all texts yourself via your on-line MyVerizon account, assuming you're the Account Owner and logged in as such.  Once logged in, look to the left under My Device and click the blue Change Features.  Choose the appropriate line if appropriate and click Next.  Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the blue Block messaging, data & other services.  Put a check next to each of the three messaging options at the top of the page, then click Continue.  You'll get a pop-up screen to review your changes; if all looks ok, click the red OK (you may need to scroll down a bit to see it, use the slider next to the pop-up box).