Re: how to set up alerts for mobile email on Samsung Reality?
user702

This problem is NOT solved. I am not getting an alert tone for new emails coming in on "mobile email" either.
Sometimes (after re-installing the app.) there is a tone for AIM & MSN. But there is no tone for gmail, gmx and others.
Verizon's Tech. Support could NOT solve the problem and according to Samsung, there is no setting for activating or deactivating an alert tone for mobile email for the Reality phone.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
I believe you need to set the alert options from within the Mobile email app while you are logged in to the specific email account you want to set the alert for,
0 Likes
hbg_photo

I'm starting to get the feeling that this might be impossible, but I really need to change the alert for Mobile Email from a vibration to a tone (or just a message on the screen, ideally).  The vibrating phone is VERY noisy.  I work in an environment that requires both silence and that I am up to date on my e-mails this sort of alert is not acceptable .  I've tried all of the settings menus, both on the phone and within the Mobile Email program but none of them seem to have any options for Mobile Email alerts, although I did find the options for text, multimedia, and voicemail alerts. 

I've read several threads, and tried everything they've recommended.  I am aware that there are settings to turn the alert ON, OFF, or only alert during a set period of time... but none of these settings really help me.  So is it possible to change the alert to just a tone or just a message on the screen?  Oh, and I have a Samsung Reality, if that makes a difference.  If this is not possible now, is there a chance that Verizon will add the feature in future software updates?  Is there a suggestion department or something?

Thanks!

0 Likes
chettm

I am also lost on this as I am ready to hand the phone back in.  My email alerts for some reason automaticly change from tone to vibrate on its own.  There is no setting for it at all.  This is my second reality and I think my last.

There are no settings at all but if someone can help me to change this please let me know. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
You need to go into EACH ACCOUNT you have set up for mobile email and set the alerts for each individual account. It is not a setting on the phone, but a setting in the mobile email app and within EACH ACCOUNT you have set up.

HTH,
0 Likes
chettm

THERE IS NO SETTING IN THE EMAIL APP FOR ANYTHING BUT ON OR OFF.  THE ALERT CHANGES FROM A TONE TO A VIBRATE ON ITS OWN.  I KNOW THERE IS A SETTING TO TURN IN ON OR OFF.  THERE IS NO SETTING FOR VIBRATE OR TONE.

0 Likes
hbg_photo

Thank you for your response Suzy.  Here is what I'm seeing in the menus:

In the general Verizon Mobile Email main screen (where it lists the accounts) there are buttons OPTIONS, SELECT, and EXIT.   Under OPTIONS there is nothing related to email alerts... I realize have to set them in each account separately. 

So I select my gmail account, and it signs in with the buttons OPTIONS and REFRESH.  Under OPTIONS I find REPLY, FAST REPLY, DELETE, FORWARD, COMPOSE, MARK READ, (SCROLL DOWN), SAVE TO CONTACTS, MOVE, FOLDERS, SETTINGS, REFRESH, and EXIT.  I select SETTINGS.

The first SETTING listed is "Alert me for new messages:"  and gives the following options:  ALWAYS, NEVER, and ONLY DURING (with custom timeframe).  These are the only adjustments or references to email alerts that I can find.  I've tried all three and none of them offer further options to set a tone, vibrate, etc. 

Perhaps this is unique to the Samsung Reality or Gmail and has nothing to do with Verizon's Mobile Email feature.  And I guess it's not a huge deal, but I just thought that since I can customize how I am alerted for calls, voicemails, text messages, etc. that I'd be able to customize the e-mail alert a bit more.  I'm currently doing a test to make sure that the email alert is overridden by the phone's silence setting and if so, I'll be using the custom timeframe option.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

hbg_photo wrote:

Thank you for your response Suzy.  Here is what I'm seeing in the menus:

... The first SETTING listed is "Alert me for new messages:"  and gives the following options:  ALWAYS, NEVER, and ONLY DURING (with custom timeframe).  These are the only adjustments or references to email alerts that I can find.  I've tried all three and none of them offer further options to set a tone, vibrate, etc.

...I'm currently doing a test to make sure that the email alert is overridden by the phone's silence setting and if so, I'll be using the custom timeframe option.

Thanks for the very complete response....it may be that the master volume setting DOES override the email alerts you have set...and a combination of custom time frame and phone master settings is what is needed.  Needlessly complicated, to say the least....

0 Likes
hbg_photo

So that seems to be the solution.  The master volume/all sounds silence DOES override the vibrating email alert, so all that happens when I receive an e-mail is that the phone displays the screen message that I have a new e-mail and gives me the option to IGNORE or VIEW.  I was a little afraid that this screen would disappear over time because if it did and I checked my phone hours later I would not know I have an email.  However it looks like the screen remains until you select one of its options... so it's all good!

Now I can set it to alert me during the day, silence my phone at work (which I have to do already), and periodically check to see if I have new mail.  Works for me! 

0 Likes
jlb8461

Sorry, but I too would like to know how to change the Email Alert on my Reality from Vibrate to anything else.  I've gone through all of your suggestions,

Two of us have Realities in our office.  The Email Alert for one is a tone, and mine is Vibrate.  Where was that selected and how do you now change it?

0 Likes