international texting
bule84

I have a friend that will be traveling internationally (Angola).  He has a US number and will keep that number.  His plan with his carrier includes unlimited texting from that country, so he wont be charged extra.  When I send or recieve a text from him will I be charged extra (i have unlimted Verizon plan) because his phone is outside the US when it is sent? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: international texting
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks Budone, you are correct. I just want to clarify for Bule84. If you are within the US and receive a call, message, or email from another US wireless user, there is no cost difference to you. 

The only time you would be billed for receiving an international messaging is if the number sending it to you is with an international wireless provider.

For example, if your friend has a mobile number based out of Angola and is an Angolan number, you would incur additional costs for receiving their text. But if your friend's number is based in the US and they are just traveling in Angola, there is no additional cost to you at all. 

The rates for international messages with international numbers is $0.25 per message sent and $0.20 per message received. 

Hope this information is helpful and thank you for your posting!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
budone
Legend

bule84 wrote:

I have a friend that will be traveling internationally (Angola).  He has a US number and will keep that number.  His plan with his carrier includes unlimited texting from that country, so he wont be charged extra.  When I send or recieve a text from him will I be charged extra (i have unlimted Verizon plan) because his phone is outside the US when it is sent? 

What cell company they have that allows free internaltional texting??? Anyways, for you nothing changes cost wise at all.

0 Likes
bule84

ATT Go Phone $50/month unlimited talk and txt.  they allow free txting in 100 countries if you have the unlimited plan.....that is what he told me

0 Likes
CJREYES666
Contributor - Level 1

bule84 wrote:

ATT Go Phone $50/month unlimited talk and txt.  they allow free txting in 100 countries if you have the unlimited plan.....that is what he told me

If youre texting another u.s. # while they are roaming you wont be charge if you have an unlimited plan. But i'll have to break your friends bubble since att prepaid package is to text TO international #s and not to be roaming he will be charged for the texts that he sends and receives as well for pic msg. I think he needs to check att prepaid website before leaving.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks Budone, you are correct. I just want to clarify for Bule84. If you are within the US and receive a call, message, or email from another US wireless user, there is no cost difference to you. 

The only time you would be billed for receiving an international messaging is if the number sending it to you is with an international wireless provider.

For example, if your friend has a mobile number based out of Angola and is an Angolan number, you would incur additional costs for receiving their text. But if your friend's number is based in the US and they are just traveling in Angola, there is no additional cost to you at all. 

The rates for international messages with international numbers is $0.25 per message sent and $0.20 per message received. 

Hope this information is helpful and thank you for your posting!

0 Likes