photos disappearing from text messages on replacement phone
tedprinkle

I have a Droid Turbo 2 - replacement because video went on the fritz on the old one. Have had this one less than a month.

Noticed that pictures received with SMS and MMS messages recently are disappearing.

Pictures that I send OUT remain in the messages.

I have pictures that were received as late as 5/2/2017 that are still there, but images that were sent to me within the last few days are already gone - including one that was sent to me this afternoon...

I try to be proactive and save images to my gallery but I can't keep up.

This NEVER happened with my previous phones - the last three phones have all been Droid Turbo 2.

I would imagine that it's some sort of setting that I can't find but I am stumped.

I have seen similar threads but none that were resolved.

Note that a picture that I texted to myself has not disappeared yet.

My Date and Time are correct...

I did notice that one image sent to me only hours ago disappeared when Droid did an update about half an hour ago but that's the first one it's done since I got this phone, so that's not the culprit.

I was a Computer Guy for more than 30 years and stuff like this frustrates the dickens out of me.

I welcome any constructive thoughts you might have.

Thanks,

T

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: photos disappearing from text messages on replacement phone
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tedprinkle, pictures make the world go round and we want you to always be enjoying yours. It sounds like you have started with some great sleuth work on your own. Let's see what we can find together. Do you recall adding any recent apps or games? Does this happen with every party that sends you messages or just a particular one?

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tedprinkle

thank you for your prompt response.

No recent apps or games installed with the exception of Dropbox, which I installed on both devices to bring large content across. Did not affect messaging on old phone, as I used it for nearly a week before switching over.

it has only happened since I received my replacement phone.

it happens with everyone that sends me pictures.

I have messages from before I got the replacement that still have their pictures which leads me to believe its either a setting or something with backup/restore or syncing messages... maybe backs up only the text then syncs that back to the phone?

it strikes me as very odd that older photos are still there and outbound photos are still there..  only inbound images disappear.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tedprinkle,

Keeping things running smoothly is a big deal. We wouldn't want you to lose anything. What happens when you try to access these pictures which are no longer there? What messaging app are you using?

AndrewT_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
tedprinkle

I am using Message+

No offense, but "what happens when you try to access these pictures that are no longer there" is an odd question at best.

They are gone. No link. No ghost of an image... They are completely gone from the message. The text is all that remains, if any was sent with the photo. If they sent only a photo, nothing remains.

I have no way to access these photos that have disappeared.

I would welcome any and all suggestions as to how to access them and/or bring them back.

Thanks

T

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying which messaging application you are using. When you go into your device's gallery, are you able to view any of the missing images there?

HarleyE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
tedprinkle

If I specifically long press on the images in the text message and say Save To Gallery, I can see them then but I have to do it within less than a day and sometimes within a few hours of receiving the text message or they are gone from the message and I have no way to save them at that point.

0 Likes
tedprinkle

Note that I have images inside text messages from BEFORE I turned on the replacement phone that are still in the message... Late in May of this year.

This only started after switching to the replacement phone and has happened to any and all images sent in text messages since switching.

0 Likes
tedprinkle

Continuing on the road to figuring this out, I have found that even pictures that I send outbound disappear when I shut the phone off. I sent one out at 12:22 and shut the phone off at 16:46. When I turned it back on, the ENTIRE MESSAGE was gone. The image and the text that had been sent with it were completely gone.

none of this ever happened with any phone I've ever had until this one... and I've been with this company since it was Bell Atlantic Mobile.

incoming images seem to disappear at random times - some stay most of the day while others are gone in a couple of hours...

please help...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tedprinkle, hearing that your incoming picture messages and some outgoing disappear quickly is concerning to me too. My goal is to get this to stop. Let's check a setting in your Messages+ application. Please go into the Messages+ settings screen, then scroll all the way down to "advanced". Once in advanced, please let me know if "delete old messages is checked". This can delete messages that are in your device if the setting is turned on.

KatrinaN_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes