please help a mom
christianebayes

Hello community

I signed up to Verizon a little over a week ago. we have 3 lines. we have a plan with unlimited texting on all lines. after we signed up i noticed  on My Verizon that my daughters line is made the primary. So i called verizon and they said they could change it the next billing cycle. Dec 3rd.

only a couple of days later i discovered that my daugther is sexting. needless to say i was shocked. i took her phone away and called verizon right away to block all texting . that was after i tried and tried to block on My Verizon and did not get anywhere.

I then was told that they could not add the block to the phone line because of the type of plan we are in. and here is the kicker. they can't do anything till the next billing cycle because when i asked them to make my number the primary number that locked in an order and they can't add a block to my daughters line even themselfs.

i have called 4 different reps, same answer. so now we have a phone for my daughter that i cannot give her because we can't get the texting off until dec 3rd. i have never heard of such a thing.

i could not add parental controls or nothing because her line had unlimited texting. that is a serious problem. i need for her to have a regular phone, but can't give her the phone now because i fear she will do dumb things.

does ANYONE know any solution to this problem? i am very frustrated with the limitations of this plan. the rep that signed us up did not tell me i could not add a block or control usage on the unlimited plan. please someone help me.

thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: please help a mom
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you purchase phones/plans at a Verizon corporate store or an independent dealer?  Or through a third party (Costco, Best Buy, etc.?)    I'm puzzled why they couldn't switch you to the primary until the next billing cycle begins, but that may be the way the system works, for billing, for online viewing of the account, and all that.

That aside, blocking all texting on one line temporarily should be accomplished with a call to Customer Serivce.  Just a simple block on all texting for one line, don't try to use parental controls or usage controls.  When things calm down, the primary number is properly assigned, and your daughter is given back her phone, you can lift the block.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Call Customer Service and ask them to cancel your futuredated order. Ask then to BACKDATE the change so it's effective right away. Since it's just a matter of changing plan codes they can backdate your line as the primary and make your daughter the secondary. It'll make your bill look weird next month, but it will solve your problem; you'll be able to block texting on her now secondary line.

There's no reason they can't backdate these changes.

0 Likes
christianebayes

Thank you for posting. I appreciate it. I bought my plan and phone at a dealer in our little town. by mistake he made my daughter the primary line. i noticed it when i signed up for My Verizon and called Verizon on my phone to have it switched. they said it would take affect at a future date. that is the whole kicker now. since they future dated this, and CAN'T for some reason take that off i guess, they cannot block my daughter from testing. we had the unlimited texting package and that backfired with my 14 year old doing something totally stupid. i will never let her have texting again. she can when she is on her own. however, i am frustrated that because they future dated the "primary line" change and can't seem to take that off, they now can't help me with the texting. this means until dec 3rd we are not able to let her have a phone. i am uncomfortable with that. i work all the time and she is in highschool and needs rides to and from activities. after talking to so many different reps and our own local dealer, and they all tell me the same thing, i have to conclude it is a DONE DEAL. i will say this, they have to change their system to better accommodate their customers. i feel totally helpless. since we just signed up with them about 10 days ago, can i get out of verizon all together without penalty? thank You again for those who helped. Have a good day.

0 Likes
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
There's actually a feature that will block texting for a Select plan number, though some reps may not know about it. The future dated order might still stop it from being added, so you will have to cancel the order first.
0 Likes
nycsheart
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am on the select family plan and I have a very similary texting issue with my 16 year old.

You CAN or should be able to add usage controls AND just an FYI, usage controls ( I just found out) won't block instant message texts, there is a separate block for this that Verizon can activate. I didn't see it on "My Verizon" but they said it shouuld be there.

0 Likes