texting to a cell, error message says it's a landline
DVD_Sandwich

I'm unable to send text messages to a friend in Canada. When I attempt, I get an error message saying that the number is a landline even though it is not.

I am able to recieve messages from this person.

I called Verizon tech support and they didn't seem to know anything about the issue at all.

Anyone else experience this kind of issue? Is there some kind of way to fix it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: texting to a cell, error message says it's a landline
budone
Legend

You want your friend to contact their carrier. That would be where the issue would be.

I know, stupid suggestion, but just be sure the number is correct. What if you just reply to a message sent from them (You are not choosing the contact) does that message go through???

0 Likes
DVD_Sandwich

I've tried manually typing in the number, with or without +1 and it doesn't work.

I have copy-pasted it to make sure it's correct.

I have replied directly from a recieved message to be sure it's correct.

It just doesn't work at all.

A little googling reveals other people have had similar problems with verizon wireless specifically, so it would seem that something is wrong on VZW's end. I can't seem to be able to figure out what the solution is, unfortunately.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I wonder if a switch on VZW end needs to be flipped. Much like if you want to use your device in a foreign country they need to flip the switch to allow you to do so.

If you have another phone available to use, call tech support (800-922-0204) and choose option 3 from the menu tree. You can not do this from the cell phone with the issue.

StuckInDeepThought
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not sure if the tech support no longer handles these type of requests. Does anyone know which department handles categorizing what number is a 'landline' vs a mobile number? Verizon technical support keeps hanging up on me because they keep saying the number I want to text is not a Verizon Wireless number. I tried other departments but they keep transferring me to Verizon Wireless technical support.

Thanks!

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The user of the number would have to confirm this with for you. If they are not sure either, they can contact us to verify their account, so we can review if it is a landline or mobile number.

*Robert

0 Likes