Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
texting to voip line, getting error message saying it is a landline
StuckInDeepThought

I am trying to text an office with VOIP (Voice over IP) lines that can send me a text (for appointment reminders etc), but I am unable to reply via text (SMS). I get an automated text response from Verizon saying "Your message could not be delivered to this non-wireless number ...". The office is able to receive texts from other non-Verizon Wireless carriers.

I have been trying to contact Verizon Technical support (chat, phone) but regardless of department I try, I eventually I get transferred to Verizon Wireless technical support. After explaining the situation, technical support says the office number is not managed by Verizon and they can not help.

Who manages whether a number is considered a landline? I keep running into a dead-end. The company that manages the VOIP line also is unable to help saying it is on Verizon's side. Again,  non-Verizon carriers (I've asked other contacts to try) have not had any issues texting the office. If Verizon can somehow categorize the number as a wireless number, I believe the problem will be solved. Or if it managed by another company, can I get the contact of the other company?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: texting to voip line, getting error message saying it is a landline
StuckInDeepThought

After a lot of back and forth between the VOIP company and Verizon, it appears as if the VOIP company's back-end provider was able to fix the issue. My only guess is that the line needed to be re-categorized as a mobile number. And my other guess is that other cell phone companies handle texts to landline categorized numbers differently perhaps than how Verizon handles them.

Problem solved!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StuckInDeepThought

After a lot of back and forth between the VOIP company and Verizon, it appears as if the VOIP company's back-end provider was able to fix the issue. My only guess is that the line needed to be re-categorized as a mobile number. And my other guess is that other cell phone companies handle texts to landline categorized numbers differently perhaps than how Verizon handles them.

Problem solved!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

StuckInDeepThought, thank you for keeping us all updated. 

-Tionna

0 Likes